1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow startup despite fresh install in XP Pro SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by morland, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi,

I have done a fresh installation of XP Pro SP3 but my firewall (Sygate) and the Wireless icon (in the toolbar) takes about 1 minute to load/show up. Prior to doing the fresh install, these used to come up/display immediately. I have the latest windows updates (i guess as of a few days back). Some details which might be useful:

1. Actually before it share the details may i request a freeware which allows capture of text from dialog boxes. I have tried ctrl+C and vaguely remember someone sharing a tip sometime back about some freeware for this... Lesson learned. Should bookmark things or download them to a safe folder rather than temp
    2. Am using WZC though i have installed the latest driver from Intel's site [Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (driver version used is 13.1.1.1]
    3. Do not have any junk in my start-up other than Sygate and anti-virus
    4. Looked at Event Viewer and it's shows the following 2 warnings.
      Event Type: Warning
      Event Source: Dhcp
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 1007
      Date: 18-Apr-10
      Time: 7:32:13 PM
      Description:
      Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 'XXXXXXXXXXXX'. The IP address being used is '999999999999'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at ... gives a link for MSFT site

Event Type: Warning
      Event Source: Dhcp
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 1003
      Date: 18-Apr-10
      Time: 7:32:03 PM
      Description:
      Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 'XXXXXXXXX'. The following error occurred:
      The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.​
    5. I doubt if I have any unnecessary services set in automatic mode. I followed the tips from blackviper's site for most of the services
    6. DHCP Client service is set to automatic
    7. Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service is set to manual
    8. QoS RSVP service is disabled
    9. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is set to manual
    10. Screenshot of TCP/IP settings is attached
    11. Screenshot of Sygate (which may be of help :confused: in trying to troubleshoot also attached)

Will be very thankful for your help. Please let me know if I need to provide any more details.

Regards,
    P.S
    Sorry I did not post the actual ip or mac or whatever. recently read a tip that i should prove as much details as possible before asking a question but should not provide any personal details.

Attached Files:

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

switch off the windows firewall as you have your own running..
    check that wireless zero configuration is running in the services and set to automatic

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The rate and timing of the appearance of icons and starting of programs varies a great deal with their location on the drive. There can be a major change in that order after a defrag, for example. Installations and updates fragment the drive heavily with all the temp files that are used and the files that get moved around. If you simply do a thorough defrag, things will change, for better or worse. Defragging can make some things actually load more slowly since the optimal placement of files for fastest loading is not in a defragmented state, but fragmented along a hypocycloid emanating from the disk edge, its brachistochrone.

4. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. Tried that but the problem remains and wireless zero configuration is already in automatic mode.

5. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thank you for your kind reply. I have ran Defraggler once and will try again hoping that might solve the problem :confused:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you turned off Windows scheduled defrag? If not, the 2 will run against one another, trying to arrange files according to their own algorithms, and the drive will always be busy and fragmented.

7. morland

morland Thread Starter

Just went into the Control Panel and double clicked on Scheduled Tasks but it it not displaying any scheduled task and just an icon to 'Add a scheduled task'. So I guess I'm fine there. Right?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure. I don't remember as far back as the ancient XP. I'll blow the dust off an old machine here sometime and take a look. I think I have an old XP machine around here somewhere, but I'm not sure I have the coal to fire it up.

9. morland

morland Thread Starter

:) Thanks Elvandil. Appreciate the help from you and others senior members (y) Hope to nail it down.

10. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,

Just wanted to share the updated status with you.

Since the last post I have tried many (i really mean many) things e.g. disabling the network card, looking at the results, uninstalling and re-installing Sygate and ... lost track to be honest. The last thing that i probably tried was re-installing Sygate and setting/ensuring that the following Services are Automatic (there's really no logic behind this and i'd say this was just a desperate attempt... I will be appreciate if someone can kindly guide if I need to change the settings for any of the following services) :

1. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    2. DHCP Client
    3. DNS Client
    4. IPSEC Services
    5. Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    6. Wireless Zero Configuration
    7. Workstation

Yes, there is one more thing that I did. In Sygate options, i unchecked the options where it says "Block all traffic while the service is not loaded".

The latest status is that the warning messages which i posted initially are no longer appearing in the event log BUT I have no clue which of the above actually fixed the problem :confused:

Do I need to change the settings of any of the 7 listed services to manual (or maybe disable any)???

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice