1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow startup/funky autoexec - win 98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by abcowan, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abcowan

abcowan Thread Starter

my computer boots up REALLY slowly with Windows 98SE. Windows is always slow-loading, but it can take 2-3 minutes, and i have a k62-500 w/ 256 MB of PC100 SDRAM. I think the problem is my autoexec file. i know it shouldn't look the way it does but am scared to mess too much with it. could someone give me a hand?
    also, is there anything else that could be slowing my system? i recently upgraded from 64 megs of RAM to the current 256 and really haven't seen a noticeable response. please ask if you need more info to help. My autoexec is pasted below
    thanks,
    abcowan

rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net start
    @C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
    rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /V
    @ECHO OFF
    PROMPT $p$g
    set mouse=C:\MOUSE
    rem - By Windows Setup - C:\MOUSE\mouse.exe /Q
    PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\
    SET TEMP=C:\DOS

REM New environment setting added by Installation on Sat Sep 22 16:59:50 EDT 2001 1.
    REM The unmodified version of this file is saved in C:\autoexec.bat2052127804.
    REM Do NOT modify these lines; they are used to uninstall.
    set EXTRACTOR_DIR=D:\INSTALL
    REM End comments by InstallAnywhere on Sat Sep 22 16:59:50 EDT 2001 1.

REM New environment setting added by Installation on Sat Sep 22 17:40:56 EDT 2001 1.
    REM The unmodified version of this file is saved in C:\autoexec.bat473009928.
    REM End comments by InstallAnywhere on Sat Sep 22 17:40:56 EDT 2001 1.

REM New environment setting added by Installation on Sat Sep 22 17:57:00 EDT 2001 1.
    REM The unmodified version of this file is saved in C:\autoexec.bat55556251.
    REM End comments by InstallAnywhere on Sat Sep 22 17:57:00 EDT 2001 1.

REM New environment setting added by Installation on Sat Sep 22 18:07:41 EDT 2001 1.
    REM The unmodified version of this file is saved in C:\autoexec.bat1358600084.
    REM End comments by InstallAnywhere on Sat Sep 22 18:07:41 EDT 2001 1.

REM New environment setting added by Installation on Tue Sep 25 16:07:20 EDT 2001 1.
    REM The unmodified version of this file is saved in C:\autoexec.bat1301063701.
    REM End comments by InstallAnywhere on Tue Sep 25 16:07:20 EDT 2001 1.
    rem C:\WINDOWS\alsinit.exe

2. beach51

beach51

Hi abcowan,having to many programs starting up when you bootup will cause this.Lets have a look at your startup programs,Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32,click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>click edit>select all>clcik edit>copy,and come back here and paste the page.

3. abcowan

abcowan Thread Starter

thanks!
    here's the startup stuff
    Norton Program Scheduler Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NSCHED32.EXE" /min
    SwTray Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Game Controllers\SWTRAY.EXE"
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    PtUDFApp Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PtUDFApp.exe /T
    Cmpanion Registry (Machine Run) C:\HPCOMPAN\cmpanion.exe
    SaveNow Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\SAVENOW\SaveNow.exe
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    NVQuickTweak Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE NVQTWK.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    CDInterceptor Registry (Machine Run) cdi.exe
    Launcher Registry (Machine Run) relaunch.exe
    TBTray Registry (Machine Run) tbtray.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    V128IID Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\v128iitw.dll,STB_InitTweak

4. beach51

beach51

Ok,you have a spyware componet in your startup programs.

Savenow is spyware.Go to start>run>type in Msconfig click ok.Click on startup tab>these are all the programs you have running when you bootup>remove the check mark next to Savenow,click apply then ok.The computer will want to reboot,let it.Now go to Start>Settings>control panel>add and remove programs,see if save now is in there.If it is highlight it and click remove.Now go back to Msconfig and remove the check marks next to exerything except,

Scan registry
    System Tray
    Your antivirus (Norton)
    Load Power Profile (2)

Remove these programs one or two at a time and reboot.your not deleteing this programs you will still have access to them from Start>programs.

Let us know how you make out.

5. beach51

beach51

I forgot to mention this.After you remove the programs from Msconfig.Go here and download a free program called Ad-Aware5.6.This program will scan your computer for spyware componnets and remove them for you.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

After you download this program,go back and download the lastest signature file.Unpack it to the Ad-Aware folder.Now run the program and see if it finds anymore spyware.Make sure all the boxs in the left side of the window in Ad-Aware are checked.

6. abcowan

abcowan Thread Starter

thanks beach51 - this is helpful. any clues about all that junk at the end of my autoexec? anyone?

7. beach51

beach51

I think your autoexec file looks ok,but maybe someone with more expereance with this will have a look.

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

All of the lines that start with REM are REMarks and are not executable statements.

It would appear that you installed something, many times, that added all the lines that look like

REM New environment setting added by Installation on Sat Sep 22 16:59:50 EDT 2001 1.
    REM The unmodified version of this file is saved in C:\autoexec.bat2052127804.
    REM End comments by InstallAnywhere on Sat Sep 22 16:59:50 EDT 2001 1.

The only thing in there is a SET statement that is SETting a DOS variable. If you aren't running anything in DOS, all of these can be deleted.

@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup

Runs Norton AV on bootup which scans a few important files.

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /V

Sets up your CD drive for use from DOS

@ECHO OFF

Turns OFF the display of all these statements as they are processed

PROMPT $p$g

Sets the DOS prompt to look like c:\{directory}

set mouse=C:\MOUSE

Sets a DOS variable for use by your mouse in DOS

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\

Sets your PATH statement

SET TEMP=C:\DOS

Indicates that all TEMP files are to be created in c:\DOS

This latter one you should replace by
    SET TEMP=C:\Windows\Temp
    SET TMP=C:\Windows\Temp

And then browse to the c:\DOS folder and delete all temp files that have been accumulating there.

From now on they will accumulate in \windows\temp

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice