1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by l_zero, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. l_zero

l_zero Thread Starter

A while ago I was able to open something that let me stop some things from running when I start my computer, things like Quicktime and other useless programs. Well now I have a friend who wants to know how to do it and I can't remember how. Can anyone help me out?

2. brindle

brindle

What is the OS?

3. l_zero

l_zero Thread Starter

Mine is Windows 98 and hers is XP.

4. brindle

brindle

msconfig
    For yours all you need checked in staartup is scanregistry and systemtray. It is wise to also have your anti-virus and firewall checked....in 98 chose selective start up on the general tab and uncheck process autoexec.bat and process config.sys.

5. l_zero

l_zero Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.

6. brindle

brindle

"I can't remember how"
    All I did was jog your memory..your welcome and thank you for your quick responses.

7. iaavagent

iaavagent

Watch out for xp,it's different, be sure of what you're doing on hers!

8. l_zero

l_zero Thread Starter

Thanks, I will. I'll just show her all the info and let her decide what she wants to do.

9. l_zero

l_zero Thread Starter

My girlfriend did MSCONFIG and unchecked a couple things she didn't want running. When she restarted the computer it said something about the computer will keep starting up in selective startup and diagnostic mode. I know about the selective startup but why does it say diagnostic?

10. iaavagent

iaavagent

My wife has xp and she did the same thing. It's been awhile but I think it means that POST[power on sys test} and scandisk on bad shut down etc.will continue to run on startup as needed. I could be wrong! Has she shut down and restarted with any noted problems?
    Check back here to see if anyone confirms or adds to above. Also there probably is a lot of services and other changes to settings that can be done but someone else will have to advise on. This forum is full of good advise on xp, do a search on and go to the xp forum on TSG. There are many forums dedicated to xp only. Google and get mind bog! I also like XP Forum {Brian's site} but there are many. Good luck!

11. l_zero

l_zero Thread Starter

She checked the box that said "don't show this message again" so she can't remember everything it said now. I wish she hadn't done that because I could've posted exactly what it said. From what she told me it made it seem like it was going to keep starting like that, in selective startup and diagnostic mode. Everything seems to be working fine though so I don't know if there's a problem or not. I'll look around at some of the XP stuff and see if maybe I can find some answers there. Thanks for all your help.

12. dondecap

dondecap

hello
    xp does not like msconfig used!!
    you need to log on as administater and alter from the control panel. but a lot of process rely on others to work so you need to read up on the os.
    hope this helps

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice