Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow, stuttering internet with VERY laggy games

5K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hi,

Usually my internet connection is fine, surfing is good and playing games on my PS3 is quick and smooth. For the past few weeks however my connection has become a slow, stuttering/laggy mess and when I play COD I have the worst connection stats and I am usually chucked from a game.

Where do I start with my investigations? I do know there is no general issue with broadband in my area.

Would you guys need some stats from me to order to help?

Regards,

C h r e d g e.

#2 ·
Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

#3 ·
Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.
Hi Johnwill,

Thanks for your reply. Here are my results -

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2670892

Hope you can dicipher what the report means...

Thanks,

C h r e d g e.

#5 ·
Hi,

Here are a few test reports.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/23183946.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/23184008.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/23184083.png

These reports seem to be OK but at the time I was noticing bad lag in COD MW (PS3).
I did a test the other day during a bad lagging session where i disconnected the PS3 from the router and plugged it straight into the modem and there seemed to be a performance improvement. I may have just imagined this as I can't seem how my router would reduce connection performance - surely it would either work or not work.

Anyway, thanks for your help again and if you do have any advice please direct it my way.

Cheers,

C h r e d g e

#6 ·
Well, if it appears to be better without the router in the picture, I'd suggest the following.

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  3. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  4. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  5. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

#7 ·
Hi JohnWill,

Thanks again for the reply.

I tried option 5 as I couldn't update the newtwork drivers (I'm not on a network, am I?) and I couldn't locate the correct firmware update on the route makers website (could find the correct model of router but couldn't see the correct version of firmware to use).

After resetting to default my connection was great! (on both my PC and PS3) about 1hr after this things went back to normal again:(

One thing I did notice was a 'there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network' message that popped up a couple of times. Could this have anything to do with my issue?

Also, my router can either be wireless or cable, I choose to have everything connected with cable as I see this as being more secure. Is there any chance that another user from another address could be using my router wirelessly? how would I check for this?

Sorry - so many questions!

Thanks again for your continued help!

Regards,

C h r e d g e

#8 ·
I'd disable the wireless section of the router to insure no wireless user is sneaking in, that's a very likely scenario if you haven't secured it!

As far as the duplicate IP address, that could be the aforementioned freeloader as well. ;)

#13 ·
Hi,

Thanks for that - sorry for my late reply (family bereavement).

I couldn't see a way of turning off the wireless connection. I have never set the router up for a wireless connection (always cable) so would it be possible for someone to use it's wireless capabilities without me knowing?

My PC and PS3 are running off the same router and I'm still getting the 'there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network'. I'm thinking that the IP address for both systems are the same (only started getting this message recently). Would this cause me problem? how would they have become the same on their own??

I'm still getting laggy games on my PS3 so I suspect I may have to speak to my ISP (Virgin) if I can't resolve the issue myself.

Sorry for all the questions - thanks again for your (or anyone elses) help!

Regards,

C h r e d g e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.