1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow tiny Toshiba notebook

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozziebeanie, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi All

I have a Toshiba NB200 it’s a tiny notebook used about four times before been stored away, for 3+ years, it has Windows 7 starter 32 bit on it, presuming this is a light version of Windows 7, it has 2 gig of ram, it was given to me.

I have given it a clean out, but the computer still is as slow as watching grass grow, for example, when I open windows explorer, the page opens, then along the path line a green line comes up and it moves across and I cannot access that page till it’s finished, it does not take forever or anything but a lot slower then I have seen any notebook take

The processor is a Intel Atom NB280 1.6GHz 1.67GHZ
    It has service pack 1 loaded on to it.

I was wondering if I loaded Windows 7 Pro on to it, (just going to be used for email and surfing the net) would that slow it down even further? It has, apart from an anti virus and Office 2007 I have not loaded anything else on it.

I was thinking of deleting some of the office programs and just installing some of the more common ones there e.g. Email, Excel, Word.

I know 32 bit can see up to 3. Something of ram, but found out the mother board can only take up to its current ram

Any tips and ideas to speed it up enough to just open pages strait away would be appreciated

Or would I have to get another motherboard in there for it to be faster?

Thanks in advance

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Have a look at what's running at start-up using msconfig and ask here about what (if anything) you can disable.
    Guide to using msconfig just in case http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_win7.html

Also, if it's trying to download a huge amount of updates when switched on, that could slow things dow. If it's been in a box for a while that might be a reason.
    I had a similar spec notebook with W7 starter and it too was slow! I decided to wipe Windows and install a very light Linux version and that really helped - but I did not need M/soft office etc as I was ok to use LibreOffice and other Linux alternatives.

Hope this helps?

Richard.

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks for answering Richard, much appreciated, I have been into the start up, no extras are starting up at boot up, although boot up is slower than my i7 which is to be expected, its just the general operation is very slow its like going back to dial up from ADSL2+

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It came with XP installed. It probably could run that better on 2GB RAM.

Windows 7 needs 4GB unless you are willing to put up with a crawl.

I suspect the netbook will not accept 4GB of RAM.

5. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks Plodr/Liz, I will put xp on it, I have a disk for that but stopped using it quite a while ago, I will give it a shot, thanks for answering

6. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Ok back again, I went to put Windows XP Pro on to the notebook, this a tiny notebook (so does not have a DVD drive), so I put on an external DVD drive on, put the disc in, booted up the notebook to the usual W7 starter desktop, let the drivers load for the external DVD player had a auto thing coming up asking if I want to view files or start the setup.exe

I then went into My Computer and the DVD drive was showing in there and then checked Disc Management and it showed in there, so re-booted and went into setup (F2) and changed the boot device (and moved it up to the first boot device option) after selecting the USB (DVD) option of which was there, saved changes

It started to look like is was doing the right thing until I got the message, in the Windows XP Professional setup page saying –

Set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer, make sure any disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct.This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue.To quit Setup, press F3 – end of message

Ok should I take hard drive out and format it in my Docker via my main computer
    I know the DVD drive is working as it showed up and I am able to view files, (it has its own power source, used this as it was a tiny notebook but bugger it all left my other external DVD drive at my dad’s so cannot try that one at the moment), is there something in the bios stopping it?

It’s not new enough to have anything but legacy boot, as per usual would appreciate any suggestions or things to check.

Oh and yes my disc is an original, I had it on my main computers before I moved up to Windows 7 home addition and pro of which I have both disc’s for that also (legal)

Just holler if anyone thinks of anything

Cheers

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The hardware on that was designed to run a 32 bit version of XP. Perhaps XP Home Premium; I don't know off hand.

I have a 7" netbook from ASUS and ordered mine with linux.

I would not advise doing that.

It is now usable but slow. You might end up making it unusable.

8. strollin

strollin

Try going into the BIOS on that machine and setting the SATA controller to IDE mode. XP does not have drivers for SATA controllers.

I had an Acer Aspire One netbook that originally came with XP, I installed Win 8.1 on it and thought it ran much better than with XP.

9. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks all, will give it a try today and get back to you as to how it went, have not got xp home premium only pro

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You should make sure you have the existing 7's key before you try to install an OS, you can get it with the free program here if you don't have it already :- https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Also starting with any version of 7 on a DVD you can make an ISO file from it (you can use the free ImgBurn program for that http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download& but refuse all the optional stuff during the install)
    Then using this free program :- http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/eicfg_removal_utility.zip
    you can change the ISO in a couple of seconds and use the new Iso to burn a new DVD or make a Usb stick that will offer all versions of 7 at the start of the install.

This way you could install 7 starter again if the other versions are too slow. You may have to do that to use your 7 key.

I've got 7 Ultimate on a very old laptop with a similar spec to your netbook and it runs quite well, about as fast as XP did.

11. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Have not managed to get to the computer today family birthday and all that on, and nearly bed time now, I do have a key program to get the 7 starter key, thanks for reminding me about that, if W7 works alright on your one then obviously putting XP on there will not help it any further, it does have the W7starter sticker on there but I just figured that maybe because W7 must have started coming out maybe they re-configured it and took XP off

I have full versions of XP Pro, W7 premium home edition (64 bit) and W7 pro (64 and 32 bit) all on disc, good idea about using a USB. I have a busy couple of days coming up but will get to it and let you know how I went.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  13. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!