1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow transfer across network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cyberguyd, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberguyd

cyberguyd Thread Starter

I have installed two nics in a pc and have connected one to my dsl and the other to my network. I have connected another pc to the network hub. I have succssfully setup internet connection sharing. I can see shared folders accross the network. However, when I attempt to transfer files it takes forever and I get intermittent messages telling me the network cable is unplugged. Thanks in advance

2. chewie1012

chewie1012

Is there a great distance between the pc's? I had run some cable one time and had a connection but the distance was so long the signal was weak. I cut ten or fifteen feet off and was able to connect ok. Or should I say downloading speeds went from regular modem speed to much faster.

3. cyberguyd

cyberguyd Thread Starter

I am using only about a 10 ft cable.

4. chewie1012

chewie1012

Well I don't know much about this networking stuff. I have a home network and am doing a little 'light networking" as a side job. Do you have two nic's in one pc?

5. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

When you transferring the files are you using mapped drives or just browsing through network neighborhood....? You'll defintely want to map a drive or drives to keep that persistent mapping going.

6. chewie1012

chewie1012

what does mapping a drive do and how does it work?

7. cyberguyd

cyberguyd Thread Starter

A little update on the conditions:

Connecting to the internet on the client computer results in an extremely slow download or web content, mail, etc. File transfer across the network is slow.

PC running ICS is:

- P4 2 gig running XP
    - 2 NICs are installed, both are 10/100 nics, Linksys
    - One nic connects to DSL line - functioning perfectly
    - the other connects to my 10 mbit hub

Client PC is:

- AMD 450 runnning XP
    - one 10 mbit Realtek NIC
    - Internet is slow

File transfer between the two PCs is very slow. I have mapped drives as suggested by NetEngineer to no avail. In the system tray on the P4 ICS server, the connection icon appears for local connection 2 (my local ethernet) and says "a network cable is unplugged". It appears regularly (every 30 secs to 1 min) and then disappears. I have reset up the connections, swapped cables etc, no change.

Any other info would be great. Thanks.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The fact that you see the cable unplugged message is strongly suggesting you have a cable or NIC hardware issue. I'd start by closely checking the cable. It's very common for a poor connection in the cable to cause the symptoms you describe. You might start a large transfer and then press the cable close to the connections to the sides and see if some tension forces it to make a connection and helps with the problem. I believe you'll find your problem has nothing to do with software.

9. cyberguyd

cyberguyd Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. I was beginning to lean towards a hardware issue last night and just replaced the 10 mbit nic and hub with new 10/100 equipment. The 10 mbit stuff was easily 5 years old and sounds like was suspect as well as maybe issues with 10/100 and 10 mbit only compatibility.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

And I assume that all is working well now?

11. cyberguyd

cyberguyd Thread Starter

Yes it is all fixed. Most appreciative to Johnwill, your comments pretty much confirmed my thoughts after I had slept on it that the equipment was faulty or incompatible.

:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice