1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Transfer Speeds from XP to Win7 machine. Win7 to Win7 Fine.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by moparmaniac, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moparmaniac

moparmaniac Thread Starter

Guys, can someone help me out on trying to resolve an issue I'm having on my network.

I have 3 Main PCs.

One in the Gameroom--Media Server (Windows 7 64bit, onboard Gigabit Nic). MSI AMD 780G Chipset.

One in the Office--(Windows XP MCE, INTEL Gigabit PCI)

One in the Living Room--HTPC (Windows 7 32bit, onboard Gigabit Nic) GIGABYTE AMD 780G Chipset.

I just upgraded all my systems to new hard drives in hopes of archiving all DVDs onto the server and streaming them from there to the other machines.

All connections are working fine and I can move around files between machines no problem.

My issues I can get 70-80 MB/s between the HTPC and the Server.

The most I can get out of my Office and the Server is 37-40MB/s.

The 2 OS drives in the Office and HTPC machines are Identical..Samsung F3 drives. The drives on the server I'm sending files to are Samsung F4 drives.

I just did fresh OS intalls on these drives when I placed them into service.

I used all windows drivers except for the Intel NIC in which I used the supplied drivers for it.

Can anyone tell me why my XP machine can't pull the same mustard as the other machine? It really has me puzzled.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would hope you are using Windows drivers, given the Windows operating systems. :) Do you mean you're using whatever Windows found? If so, since you are unhappy with the XP's performance I suggest getting all the latest drivers you can from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site, beginning of course with the chipset.

3. bobbydiaz

bobbydiaz

Your problem could be IPv6 - try unchecking it in the LAN properties.

4. geek117

geek117

This would be my second suggestion. If your XP machine is a prebuilt system (Dell, HP, etc) and your motherboard offers a separate storage controller driver through the manufacturer, I would recommend installing this as well. However, could it be that your motherboard in the XP machine only supports SATA1.5 and is therefore also limiting the transfer speeds of your harddrive? Just a thought...

5. moparmaniac

Thanks for the Input...a little more info.

Yes, My XP PC is a prebuilt ACER. with the NForce 4 chipset. (It's roughly 5 years old but has a Dual Core 3800+ AMD so it's still a useful machine). I just reinstalled windows using the OEM installation disks and have run all windows updates including recommended drivers.

The Network Card isn't onboard on this machine; It flaked out last year..I have an Intel Gigabit PCI card on this one. Since my last post, I have restarted the machine, turned off Flow Control and turned on Jumbo frames to 4K. I managed to get 41MB/s so a little Improvement.

I also noticed something else too. If I'm on the Windows 7 machine and send files to the XP machine, I'm only seeing 25MB/s to it.

Most of my data transfers has me sending all my data from my Machine to the Windows7 Server and pulling from the Server to My Machine via Mapped Drives.

Rarely Do I switch over to the actual Windows 7 machine and pull or push files directly from my XP machine..which is why I never noticed that speed of 25MB.

I have run HD Tune Tests on this drive and monitored swapping data between another local disk drive and I believe the SATA communications are running at SATA II I'm getting average reads of 106MB/s and Burst Rates of 216MB/s. Data swaps are running 85-100MB/s

If people are getting 50-80MB transfers on a gigabit backbone between XP and Windows7, then obviously something is off on settings or drivers I would think..but so far no luck.

It's not a matter of having to get it fixed as much as why is it doing this? I believe it's capable of more than what I'm seeing.

6. geek117

geek117

Ah. Perhaps the bottleneck has something to do with the PCI slot and the rest of the motherboard. Sustained throughput should probably be around 60-80mbps, but could vary depending on memory controllers, the pci clock, etc. Theoretical throughput bursts to 512mb/s, but this is not a realistic transfer speed. What you are experiencing is probably about right for the on-board hardware's ability to communicate with your network card. Those are just my thoughts though. Someone else may be able to shine a different light on the situation.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know if it makes any difference, but if the dead integrated NIC can be disabled in the BIOS do so. If it can't be disabled there make sure it is disabled in Device Manager.

Possibly any anti-malware application on the XP checking every byte sent to it? And maybe even the files sent from it?

8. moparmaniac

Thanks again for the input..I'll probably just let it go for now..not a dealbreaker.

I do have the old onboard nic disabled in the BIOS. I'll keep tinkering on it..who knows what may end up working for me.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice