1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Upload Speeds/Other Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by grimalchemist, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grimalchemist

grimalchemist Thread Starter

Roughly 2-3 days ago, my computer suddenly started having great difficulty loading webpages, especially with loading images. Also seem to have very low upload speeds (possibly unrelated).

My computer is connected to the modem through a router, shared with one other computer that is not experiencing any of the problems I have been.

At the outset of these issues I tried resolving by restarting the modem/router and computer, and connecting my computer directly to the modem, and used different ethernet cables, with no effect. I've run a variety of anti-virus and malware/spyware scans, which also produced no results. I've perused my computers processes and networking for anything unusual and didn't notice anything (but my experience is limited and I could well have missed something).

When testing my connection speed with a speedtest from my ISP (comcast), I had a 9ms ping and 30Mbps download, both of which are normal for my service, but had an abysmal 0.10Mbps Upload speed. A couple of other anomalous behaviors I noticed are having no unusual latency in online games, and no problems streaming video (with the exception of a longer wait for videos to start).

Following are a few test results that could be helpful:

Speedtest:
    Ping 10ms
    Download 30.42 Mbps
    Upload 0.11 Mbps

nslookup yahoo.com
    Server: cns.beaverton.or.bverton.comcast.net
    Address: 68.87.69.150

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: yahoo.com
    Addresses: 98.139.180.149, 209.191.122.70, 67.195.160.76, 72.30.2.43, 98.137.149.56

ping yahoo.com
    Pinging yahoo.com [209.191.122.70] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=51
    Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=51
    Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=51
    Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 209.191.122.70:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss).
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 129ms, Average = 61ms

Line test:
    http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/98cb3cb78323/2827181?r=527

Since this is only affecting my computer, and not the other computer on the network, could this be an issue with my computer alone? If so, what could the likely culprits be, and what/where should I go to seek assistance with such problems?

If there is any other information I can provide in diagnosing the cause of this issue, please let me know, and thank you in advance.

EDIT: fixed grammar/spelling issues. Added more specifics about issue.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver from your PC or motherboard manufacturer's web site. If you already have the latest driver reinstall it anyhow (in case the installed instance is corrupted).

In Network Connections right click on your connection and select 'Status.' If you are not actively doing any networking the Packets Sent and Received should be incrementing slowly. Is that the case?

3. grimalchemist

I've reinstalled the driver (it was already up to date), and haven't seen an improvement.

The status of my Local Area Connection are both increasing slowly when not actively in use.

4. grimalchemist

Some more information I've found - the other computer on my network is suffering from the low upload speeds, but none of the problems loading pages.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you tried the other computer with a direct connection to the modem?

6. grimalchemist

Tried running a speedtest on second computer with a direct connection to the modem - same issue with upload speeds (but none of the other issues with loading pages).

Speedtest:
    Ping: 12 ms
    Download: 29.7 Mbps
    Upload: 0.05 Mbps

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since there is one major problem there I would suspect the modem, ISP or interior cabling or splitter(s).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice