1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Giniene, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Giniene

Giniene Thread Starter

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 531S. It's less than a year old; I don't use it often because it runs very slowly. I'm sure it's a hardware issue but I don't get any of this hardware stuff. It has 512MB of RAM. My C Drive is total size 64.4 GB; free space is 40.9. Can anyone guide me through what I need to make this run quicker? I appreciate any information I can get. Thank you!

2. techychick

techychick

For starters try upgrading the ram, 1GB is recommended and you would notice an improvement with just that upgrade. Also, Dell installs alot of unnecessary programs, if you don't use them you really don't need them

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Just because a program is install, does NOT mean it will slow down a machine. BUT, if that program is set to start on boot up, then yes it MAY slow down the machine.

4. techychick

techychick

Ah yes, I meant to say just the same, my fingers got the best of me. However Dell is notorious for adding programs to the start up menu :(

Vista: Use Defender to Monitor and Disable Startup Programs
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2065/vista_use_defender_monitor_disable_startup_programs

5. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Fwiw. Did you buy it new?
    Where did you find that it had 512mbs ram? It should have 2 Gbs as standard.

6. Giniene

Giniene Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone. It says 512 MB in the system information.

I think I'm going to try upgrading the RAM; is this difficult to do?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice