1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow VPN speeds from Ireland to Canada

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kevindv10, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevindv10

Kevindv10 Thread Starter

I've setup an offsite office in Dublin at a hotel. We use a VPN to get onto our network in Canada. When at home the VPN responds like a dream but here (over ADSL) its so slow the connection constantly drops and my users (now breathing down my neck) are unable to use the VPN in any practical way.

Can anyone suggest why the speed difference (does geographical distance really make such a difference?) and what I can try to boost it?

I've used "route add" to map static connections once connected to the VPN but it didn't seem to help much.

Hurry please before I sucuumb to a cardiac arrest....

2. Rockn

Rockn

It's not geographical distance that is the problem it's the route the data has to take to reach it's final destination that is causing the slowdown. Not all services or networks that your VPN tunnel has to go through will support IPsec and there may also be some issues with the hotels network. Ask their IS person, they may have more insight into your problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice