1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow W98SE startup from DOS, then errorMSG.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by seamus8u, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

I'm just fooling around with my girlfriends oooold comp. and when it startsup theirs an error that states program error or something. Any ways how could I get rid of Win98 and use XP? Can I use XP with a PentiumIII 334khz...I'm not even sure what this dino has. Her daughter uses it for school and gaming (2nd grader) How do I reformat the hard drive or do I need to? What if the DOS isn't even working right? Should I just forget it?

2. bowmar

bowmar

I think XP would struggle on this PC.
    To install Win '98 or ME you require a Boot Floppy and CD for '98, ME should boot from CD. In the case of '98 insert both disks, start computer and at a: prompt type: format c:/q for a quick format.
    Restart computer then at option start with CD support.
    When started change prompt to D: drive, and type setup , Windows should commence installing.
    ME should boot from CD and follow easy instructions.

3. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

Have any idea where I can get a boot floppy and cd? I think I might have the original boot floppy for the comp. and I'm pretty sure it has a section for reformatting. So how do I get a Windows ME CD? Do I still get to pay for it? Please oh please can I please pay for something on this dinosaur. (That's sarcasm)sorry. Where can I find a free or cheap cd so that this 7 yr old can have some fun for about a year until she realizes her comp is a POS. :rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice