1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow wi-fi w/ media streaming & online gaming

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dannyvw, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyvw

dannyvw Thread Starter

Hi!

I've been struggling with this problem on my computer and I can't seem to fix it.. So here's the deal: I have a wifi subscription of 20Mb/s, and for a long time nothing was wrong with my speed. But for the past few days it has been going from 6Mb/s to 13Mb/s. YouTube and regular browsing is going fine most of the time, sometimes the page won't load. Now on websites like Tumblr, things are loading slowly. And whenever I use online media streaming or when I'm playing an online video game it sometimes loads, but after a few seconds the connection is gone again and it won't do anything anymore.

I've checked for Malware, did a reset on my router a few times but it doesn't seem to work. I wanna post a ipconfig but I'm not sure if it's safe to post the whole list online because I'm not that big of an expert.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do that might help?

2. joe957

joe957

Call your ISP provider.

3. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

What speeds do you get when hard wired to the router? The modem?
    Do you have the latest wireless adapter driver installed?
    Do you have the latest firmware installed on your router?
    How crowded is your wireless neighborhood? (possible wireless interference, try changing the channel to a less congested one)
    What OS are you using?

4. joecool99

joecool99

shared data line - depends on traffic. you will never get 20 at all times.

5. dannyvw

dannyvw Thread Starter

Unfortunately I can't hard wire it to my router because I don't have a cable, but it'd probably be 20Mb/s. I've got the latest firmware en drivers installed, and I've tried to change channels, but none of them give me a better signal, some even worse. I've downloaded a .exe to see which channels my neighbours are using so I can use a channel that no one's using but I'm not seeing improvements. At this point my wi-fi won't go higher than 7Mb/s.. And I'm on Windows 8.
    Hope this info helps.

Oh and also: even though speedtests say I have 6Mb/s, I really don't believe that's what I'm getting because it feels so much slower

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Do you have other devices on the network? If so, how many and what speeds do they receive?
    Do you have a modem and a router, or a gateway?
    Like Joe said it could be the ISP, have you tried contacting them?

7. dannyvw

dannyvw Thread Starter

Probably around 6 devices, they get a higher speed than my computer. I really think my computer's the problem and not my ISP. I'll contact them monday anyway. At the moment I've got a router (which I've reset many times)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice