1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Slow Wifi appears related to hardware

Discussion in 'Networking' started by reglip, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

My specs are:

ROG STRIX Z370-G
    I7 8700
    GTX 980ti
    Cosair 2x 8gb ram
    Windows 10

I have a fast internet connection, I dont speak megabits so I download at around 27megabytes per second when wired. I have been forced to move my PC so bought a wireless PCI card which has a bandwidth of 450Mbps. It will only download at around 2 megabytes per second. I tried on another of my PCs running windows 7 and it worked fine appearing to download around 17 megabytes per second. This made me think it was related to windows as it was a windows 7 PC. Here are things I have tried to troubleshoot it:

I reinstalled windows 10
    I installed windows 7
    I made sure all drivers on motherboard were up to date
    I swapped the PCI slot
    I tried a USB wireless dongle (also didnt work, same behaviour roughly 2megabytes per second and yet worked on my other PC)
    I tried turning on and off location in windows 10

I am at a bit of a loss as to what is causing this and how to fix it. I play online games sometimes and i get rubber banding. Downloads are slow when I pay quite a lot of money for a fast broadband connection. I can only assume it is related to the hardware and perhaps a setting in the bios may help but i cant see anything obvious. Does anyone have any ideas to help please?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

I would like to but after entering your email to download their software and clicking the link in the email nothing happens you just sit for 10 minutes on "preparing your asset"

4. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

Same thing happens on internet explorer

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe they are having server problems today?

6. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

got it from elsewhere

upload_2018-7-7_19-18-47.png

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The signal is not the strongest, but it should be strong enough.

The variation of signal strength indicates a possible problem with the router or adapter.

Have you tried connecting with the 5 GHz signal?

8. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

The 5GHz signal is better than the 2GHz but doesnt solve the problem. I am only about 15 ft from the router (2 bed house router is in other bedroom) the PC i have downstairs works perfectly fine.

With the 2.4 the download speed crawls at 15kb/s
    With 5 it currently downloads at about 1mb/s although the average is 2mb/s however i should be at something like 20mb/s

9. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

Dont forget the same problem presents with other adapters which also work fine on other PCs. I have tried a USB adapter also which gets speeds of 18mb/s on my other PC but on this PC gets 2mb/s as with the PCI adapter I have bought

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The distance is only (the easy) part of the story. The other part is obstacles in the direct path from router's antenna to adapter's antenna. Obstacles can be walls, doors, bookcases, heating/cooling ducts, electrical cables, the computer itself, etc.

Sometimes there is a problem with antenna orientation. With a pole type antenna the strongest signal is perpendicular to the antenna while the weakest is along the axis.

11. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

I have my doubts signal strength is the cause but in a short while i will take my pc and sit it next to the router to see if it makes a difference. Lunch first

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Keep at least about 5 feet between router and adapter. Check out the signal history graph also--should be pretty much a straight line. See mine, attached.

Capture.PNG

13. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

Sorry to doubt you, you were absolutely correct. Just seems crazy that a router so close could give so bad a signal. I have positioned the router the best position i can find in the room and I have moved the PC by the door. That gets me 8megabytes per second download. Have you got any tips for the anntanae of which there are three coming out of the back of the card? Is there a way to boost the signal?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    64 Mbps (8 Megabytes per sec.) is really not bad. Does this present a real problem, or "just" annoying that it is slower than what you are accustomed to getting?

Only to make sure they are securely attached and perpendicular to the path to the router.

Not really. What is the signal strength now? Does the graph show a straight line or still a wavy line?

15. reglip

reglip Thread Starter

Its acceptable its more that I pay for speeds that are 3x that, so I will have to look at reducing my broadband because there is no point in paying for speeds I cant take advantage of. I have done all that I can to improve the signal. I could improve the placement of the PC but i dont have power outlets in a place to do so, so I have done all I can to improve the signal. This is how it looks now

upload_2018-7-8_17-27-34.png

I thought that you could buy signal boosters for Wifi, do you think they would be inneffective for my usecase?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice