1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Brvsfn01, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

Well, it looks like I have solved one problem only to create another. I have a Dell Lattitude laptop with the 15.6 inch display. I bought the laptop mainly for its processing power (Core i7 cpu with 8 gigs of RAM) and it totally screams. I have never been happy with the size or quality of the little 15.6 inch display and I have had my eye out for a 24" LCD monitor which I just found, bought, and love.

The problem I am having now is that since I hooked up the monitor to the laptop docking station I no longer have to open the lid on the laptop to use it and my WiFi internet speed has tanked. Videos (YouTube, etc) that I used to be able to stream at 720 and 1080 now crawl along and I get constant buffering. 480 is not a problem but I want my 720 and 1080, it is one of the reasons why I bought the new monitor. My internet comes into the condo through a back bedroom and connects to my wife's computer via a Cat 6 cable. My laptop is set up in the dining room diagonally opposite the back bedroom. I have already moved the Router to the highest place in the room on top of a 5 foot filing cabinet with only a marginal improvement.

I have a Netgear N600 USB dongle antennae from a previous desktop with a 6' USB A to B extension cable. If I load the drivers for this USB Dongle into my laptop and then connect the Dongle will it automatically override the laptop's built in WiFi or is there more involved? Suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thanks. BTW, I am using WIN 7 Pro.

2. joecool99

joecool99

if the WIFI is weak - use the external USB. has more power.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you use an external Wi-Fi adapter switch the integrated adapter off.

By the way, your current problem may well be one of positioning. Maybe the new monitor is positioned to block (between router and laptop). Or maybe it's the different position of the laptop's wireless antenna (the antenna is along the edges of the lid, so it is now positioned differently).

4. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

TerryNet, this is why you are a Moderator and a Grand Poohba Extraordinaire! I had forgotten about turning my laptop WiFi off and my laptop has a switch for the WiFi on the side of the case.

I am sure it has a lot to do with the positioning of my laptop. Prior to my buying my new 24" monitor the laptop sat directly in front of me with the lid up when I was using the laptop, now the laptop sits off to the side with the lid closed. I'm going to turn off my laptop WiFi and hook up the USB antennae and see how that works. Thanks.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Let us know how the other adapter performs.

6. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

Well, my experiment with the separate USB WiFi antennae crashed and burned. I got the drivers installed and then plugged the antennae into a USB port just fine. The program detected my WiFi network and I entered the passphrase and was up and running for all of two hours and then suddenly the utility that came with my antennae suddenly forgot how to connect to the internet and nothing I did could get it to connect. There are at least 15 WiFi networks in my condo community and the WiFi utility refused to detect a single one whereas the built in WiFi on my laptop detects all 15 of them everytime.

To be fair I have had the USB WiFi antennae for several years and it has been through several mot so gentle moved and maybe it felt it was time to go to the great WiFi graveyard in cyber space. It was nice while it lasted. My down load speeds doubles from 6.86 Mbps to 12.10 Mbps and my streaming videos streamed bigtime! Alas, all good things must end :-( Now I am back to using the WiFi antennae that is built into the lid on my laptop and the sucky 6 Mbps downloads.

I may try to get the USB WiFi working again when I have time but I really don't to mess with something that isn't going to work so I will probably take a pass.

One other thing that is odd is that when my internet started acting up today I first thought is was due to my ISP and I whipped out my trusty Galaxy S3 phone to access the internet using the Mobile HotSpot app built into my phone and that wouldn't work and it has never failed me. I turned on Mobile Hotspot on my phone and my laptop detected it but never connected to the internet. All I ever got was an exclamation point where the signal strength indicator is in my system tray. Seems like that is my day for nothing to work . . .

7. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

One thought I had about my failed WiFi experiment is that when I did it on Monday I plugged the USB Dongle Antennae into a USB port on my Docking Station. Should I have plugged it directly into a USB port on my laptop? Would that make a difference? Thanks all.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice