Slow Windows 7 Laptop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zltb

Hello everyone! I wasnt sure where else to post this so if its in the wrong place feel free to move it.

I have a windows 7 eMachines E528 that works EXTREMELY slow, so slow in fact that it is unusalable. Im not sure what the problem is or how to fix it... any suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some stats.

Windows 7 (Home Premium)

Intel Celeron Inside

Intel Celeron 900

15.6" 16:9 HD LCD

Intel GMA 4500M

2 GB DDr3 Memory

250 GB HDD

DVD-Super Multi DL drive

802.11b/g/n; Bluetooth excluded

4-cell li-ion battery

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The system information is below:

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7601)

System Manufacturer; eMachines

System Model: eME528

BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, `2.2GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page file: 1263MB used, 2690MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I noticed that the CPU gets maxed out sometimes... and the RAM gets high as well. Not sure if its gotten maxed out though.

Thanks for you time! Ill be happy to provide any other information that is needed :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your eMachines E528 laptop has a very weak single-core processor
Capture.JPG

and only 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, so it's not surprising at all that it has the speed and performance of a turtle.

We also don't know how you use it and how well you maintain it and what's installed and running in it, so that can also have a negative impact on speed and performance.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Zltb

Is there any way to upgrade a core processor or anyway to make the computer faster? Would a factory reset help? If so how would I perform that?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Maxing out that laptop with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM may improve speed and performance a bit, but I wouldn't expect any drastic improvement because of the weak processor.
Upgrading to a faster processor isn't possible, so you're stuck with the one in it.
Doing a factory reset may help some, but there's no guarantee of that.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Zltb

How do i max out the RAM? Also, would switching to an old version of windows help performance at all?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm not there so I don't know what the case looks like.
Most laptops have a square panel on the bottom of the case that require removing 2 - 4 tiny screws to gain access to the bay.
Once the panel is removed, there should be 1 or 2 RAM modules lying flat.
Each module is held flat by 2 spring clips.
Releasing both clips causes the module to flip up to a 30 - 45 degree angle.
It can then be pulled out.

You don't want to use a Windows version older than Windows 7 because of support and security issues.
Windows Vista is actually more system-hungry than Windows 7.
Windows XP is too old and won't have any browser support in 2 - 3 months.

If you want a miracle from me to make that laptop run faster, I don't have one.

-------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome.

If you decide to buy another laptop, stay away from Acer and eMachines and Gateway (which are all manufactured and owned by Acer) and look at more reliable brands like Dell and HP.
You can buy a very decent and more modern and much faster refurbished laptop with Windows 7 for about $300.00.
If the www.newegg.com site ships in your area, that's a good place to start looking.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online