Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

slow wireless internet connection on one computer

Solved 
4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  metallica5456 
#1 ·
We have Verizon LTE home internet.
My husband and I have virtually identical computers with similar wireless cards installed. They are both Dell Optiplex desktops running Windows 10 that was upgraded from Windows 7.
He is getting up to 18.3 mbps download and 6.25 mbps upload.
I am getting only 7.57 mbps download and 5.00 mbps upload.
The router is located 3 rooms away from each computer.
Previously, I had better speed on my computer, but there was an issue with the router and Verizon moved it, necessitating that my husband needed a wireless card for his computer. I proceeded to take the one out of my computer and put it in his and purchased a new one for me.
I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

#2 ·
How many feet from each computer? What is the make and model of each wifi card? Advise which model is getting which speeds please.

What kind of wifi router are you using? You said Verizon is the ISP, so is it FIOS or just DSL?

#3 ·
the computer with the best internet speed is approximately 48 feet from the router. It has a Ralink 802.11n wireless LAN card.

the computer with poor speed is approximately 35 feet from the router. It has a TPLink 300mbps wireless N card.

That is the info that the device manager on each computer gives.

The router is Intertek - we don't have FIOS. What Verizon calls it is LTE internet. I honestly don't know if that is DSL.

#4 ·
What was the "issue" Verizon had that required the router be moved? What EXACTLY is in the close proximity of the router now? Is it on a high shelf? Is it tucked away on a lower shelf?

As for the computers, have you tried reinstalling the adapters on both the computers, or at least the one with the REALLY slow speeds to make sure you have the newest drivers?

How are you doing the speed tests?

www.speedtest.net ?

Try testing here with BOTH PC's and advise of the results from both PC's.

#7 ·
What was the "issue" Verizon had that required the router be moved? What EXACTLY is in the close proximity of the router now? Is it on a high shelf? Is it tucked away on a lower shelf?

As for the computers, have you tried reinstalling the adapters on both the computers, or at least the one with the REALLY slow speeds to make sure you have the newest drivers?

How are you doing the speed tests?

www.speedtest.net ?

Try testing here with BOTH PC's and advise of the results from both PC's.
Verizon determined that the router needed to be moved. We had lost service for a couple of weeks and then had it intermittently.
They replaced the router and the cantenna and finally moved the whole shebang saying we were picking up signals from 2 towers and it was causing the outages. Except for some bad weather, it has worked well since the move, except for the internet speed on my computer.

The router is sitting up high in the utility room, on top of an upright freezer. It is facing outwards into the room which is toward our offices, where the computers are located.
I had been using Speed test.

I have reinstalled the network card on my computer with little change to my internet speed.

The results for the speed tests using your recommended site are this:

Computer with Ralink card 17.43 mbps download/ 4.42 upload
Computer with TPLink card 3.29 mbps download/ 1.49 upload

A check on my device manager driver for this card
says Windows\system32\DRIVERS

I have a 64 bit system - is this part of the problem?

#6 ·
Using the latest Windows 10 wireless driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

#10 ·
Please follow these instructions as well please:
Using the latest Windows 10 wireless driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

#8 ·
No most drivers are only 32 bit anyway.

You probably will want to move the router OFF of the freezer. It's basically a large metal magnet for the wifi signal.

I would say that may be part of the problem.

Is the whole house one level?

#13 ·
Please follow these instructions as well please:
In the meantime, I have
moved router off freezer
swapped cards with no noticeable speed change
put cards back, changed slots in my comp
improved to 14.47 down and 5.58 up
I can live with that. I suspect that my computer needs some additional maintenance tweaking. I am going to close this thread for now. I did not get all the steps done that you and Terry suggested. I apologize for that. Other things are requiring my attention.

#14 · (Edited)
That's ok. You can take time and come back. These threads will stay open for, I BELIEVE, 30 days without any replies. If you find that it was closed you can always make a new thread and go from there. Good luck and glad to hear you got SOME improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.