Slow wireless network connection / ping on vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

prcotter

Hi Folks

I have two PC's connected to the same wireless router. One runs Vista ultimate and is slow. The other runs Win 2000 server and is fast.

The win2k PC downloads stuff at 10 times the speed of the Vista PC. I've tested it using various bandwidth sites.

If I ping my my router (192.168.0.1) , the win2k PC is 5 to 10 times quicker.

Some extra info I may be asked.

• The vista PC is an AMD 64 bit dual core and is more powerful than the win2k
    The vista firewall is disabled and there is no other anti-virus software.
    The TCP/IP connections are as identical as possible except vista also has the default ipv6 & link-layer topology
    The router is set up the same for both PC's (DHCP, IP allocation etc)
    Router = D-Link DI 524. Wireless cards: win2k = Airlink 101, Vista=RaLink
    Both PCs report 54 Mbps connections of excellent quality.
    There are no games installed.
    The win2k server is a domain name server running active directory. Vista PC is logged onto domain but uses dns supplied by router dhcp.
:rolleyes: ...Help..?

prcotter

Another strange thing. My upload speeds are quicker than my download speeds in a bandwidth test, even though my ISP provides a much higher download than upload bandwidth.

Have you tried file transfers between the computers? Maybe see what kind of speeds you get computer to computer.

prcotter

Thanks littlerumper

I Found the problem. It was purely hardware. Seems simple in retrospect. I rotated the computer! In its original position the PC was between the router and the antenna. Even though it was showing, in its original position, a 54 Mb (Excellent) connection there must have been errors it was recovering from. I feel kind of stupid about it, but I learnt a lesson. Excellent connection does NOT necessarily mean excellent transfers.

My apologies for not updating this thread earlier.

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
Mark the thread solved! ;) Great to hear you found your own answer! :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online