1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow wireless speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tmann0619, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmann0619

tmann0619 Thread Starter

I have a D-Link wireless G router (DI-524). Connected wirelessly are 2 Dell laptops running Vista (a Brother multi-function printer is connected via wire to the D-Link).

I've been testing my speeds at speedtest.net and both laptops are getting around 1.8 mbps download and 7.0 mbps upload. While these speeds are not too shabby, I can get 15 mbps download when connected via ethernet cable to the router! Upload speeds don't vary as much, as I only improve to 9 mbps when I plug-in (vs. 7 wireless). Any idea why my wireless download speeds are so slow?

Right now I'm on channel 6. I've tried 1,3, 6, 9, and 11. It doesn't help. When I move a laptop to literally inches from the router, my speeds improve from 1.8 to 3, but still nowhere near 15. I have no cordless phones, the router is near no other electronics except the cable modem (and maybe 4 feet from an LCD computer monitor and the printer/copier). The router has the latest firmware and is set to operate in G-only mode. Any thoughts on how to improve my speed? I'd love to take advantage of the full 15 mbps I'm able to pull from Comcast!

Many thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the H/W version of that router is C you may just have a junky router. Whatever the version reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure. Sometimes that helps.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My favorite router... NOT! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice