1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow XP startup, now hanging

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sakendrick, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sakendrick

sakendrick Thread Starter

Long story but I've been having some serious issues with my dell desktop and XP... here's the story in chronilogical order.

My system was running fine other than the fact that a friend noticed the hard drive was clicking frequently when the system was idle (about every 2 seconds) - he suggested I may have a virus. My own virus scan/shield (PC-cillin) never identified anything.

I installed Avast and ran a boot scan - some form of Trojan was found and deleted. Some form of Adware was also found and deleted.

Sometime either just before or immediately after the boot scan I started having problems. XP would startup quite quickly. I would log into one of the two user profiles (home edition of XP) but when I tried to launch IE it would sit for 10 minutes and not connect to anything. After about 10 minutes the page would finally load and everything would seemingly work fine. Note that during this time I could go to cmd and ping sites no problem.

I started troubleshooting and realized that it was not just IE that would sit and hang - other system applications such as System Properties, Add Remove Programs, etc would take about 10 minutes immediately after startup before they would do anything. Once the system "woke up" it would seem like everything operated fine.

To try to cure this I tried;
    - uninstalling several unnecessary applications
    - uninstalled Avast
    - installed AVG and scanned (everything clean)
    - removed all programs from Startup / Run
    - disconnected mapped drives, removed sharing from folders
    - resetting IE to defaults
    None of which solved the problem

I tried booting into safemode and the system did seem to operate much better but of course I couldn't browse the web etc.

I since reinstalled Avast and reran the bootscan - came up clean

I have just recently tried System Restore to a date where everything was fine. Now XP won't start up. I get to the profile page, choose my profile and it just hangs on a blank desktop.

- what I haven't tried yet is booting into safemode and running a virus scan. With the system restore causing me to hang I'm not 100% sure I can even boot into safe mode but will try when I'm back home tonight.

If I'm successful I'll likely undo the system restore, turn off system restore, run virus scan in safemode.... then what?

Any help, suggestions, or tools would be greatly appreciated!
    Scott

2. sakendrick

sakendrick Thread Starter

additional info...
    - during that 10 minute hang period, system processes look fine. Nothing out of the ordinary, no major memory or CPU usage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice