1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GARETHREES, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GARETHREES

GARETHREES Thread Starter

Hi Guys
    Afriend of mine asked me over for a minor problem on her pc. While I was there I noticed that it was very slow considering it had a 1.5g pentium four. Win XP Home. I got rid of a load of temp files and downloaded adaware 6 to see about spy ware. it found about 125 items (gator etc) which I quarantined.
    The pc was as slow as ever and all of a sudden we could not access the net.

I pressed restart, and the pc took about 15 mins to load. I thought adaware had removed something it should not have so I unquarantined the files and registry entries back.

It made no difference and every time I start up when it eventually loads a box comes up saying something like " you have chosen to alter the way windows starts, please choose normal and restart"

I did this but nothing has changed and when windows eventually loads I cannot open a single application, system restore, word 2000 , Internet explorer, nothing.

Can you throw some light on this for me please

Cheers
    Gareth.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) how much RAM does your friend have? Is the harddrive thrashing (constantly in use)

2) check the bios to make sure the level 1 and level 2 cache is not disabled.

3) vscan the system.

4) defrag

these are the first things I would check.

3. Ekozlovich

Ekozlovich

Gareth,

This may help, it helped my machine, if you click on your "system" in your control panel, then go to "Advanced", then at the first "settings" under the "Performance" tab click on that, then choose "adjust for best performance" That speeded up my machine allot. You can try the "Let windows choose whats best for my machine" too. But one of those should speed up your system, also if your system is taking a long time booting up try msconfig, and unchecking most of those so your system boots faster, if you do a search on this site, there is a download for Msconfig to run on XP machiines. You will find sites that tell you just which ones to keep checked.
    good luck.

4. GARETHREES

hI gUYS
    There is 256 mb of ram on the machine and the HD is not thrashing. I have not checked the bios, but as far as doing.
    a vscan and defrag I cant because none of the applications will open.

I get the egg timer for a few seconds when I try to open one and then nothing

Systen restore is the best option, but even that wont run

Thanks guys

Gareth

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If XP is corrupted to the point where none of the previous solutions get it to boot or run correctly, you might try a Repair Install that might work as well as keep the current settings.

1. Make sure you have your valid WindowsXP key
    2. Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD
    3. At the second R=Repair option, press the R key
    4. This will start the repair
    5. Eventually you will be prompted for your XP key

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ad-aware is improperly removing some items without repairing the winsock Layered Service Protocol. This is why you lost net connectivity and had to restore the removed items.

Once you get net access, use Spybot instead. You may need to run it twice to ensure complete removal.

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

If you still have slow boot up problems, try using the Utility described here to identify the area of the the problem. Download and read the White Paper for usage instructions.

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp

7. GARETHREES

Thanks Rog , I thought it mite have had something to do with it. I have been away this weekend and the girl has wiped her hard drive and reinstalled xp so I did not have the chance to deal with it .

I will have to own up to it now, Gulp or mebbe not, lol you know how feisty women can be.

Cheers to all for your replys

Gareth

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice