1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ntd822, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ntd822

ntd822 Thread Starter

I'm trying to get my old computer up and running for just internet use. I have have deleted tons of old software and files so that most of the 60GB hard drive is free. The machine has 256 RAM. I've encountered these problems:

1) when starting up, the wallpaper shows up with no icons or start menu or anything other than wallpaper for about 5-10 minutes.

2) once windows is loaded (XP Home SP2), programs launch slow, run slow, and computer sometimes freezes. Once it opens, I can browse the internet without too much stalling.

3) i've run some registry cleaners at the recommendation of other forums, and they don't seem to help much, if at all. but they do seem to find all kinds of errors and bad crap very time i run them. I just hit "delete" in the hope that some magic would happen and no such luck.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. ntd822

ntd822 Thread Starter

"ctfmon" is the only thing that runs on start up. I disabled everything else such as spyware doctor and anti-virus.

About the registry cleaner - since I've been browsing these forums, I've realized that nobody recommends them. My problem existed before I used any though.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Besides ctfmon.exe(which can't be unchecked because it rechecks itself), you should at the least have your antivirus program entries checked in the SCU startup tab.

256 MB of RAM is definitely not enough to run Windows XP. If your computer isn't too old and can support more RAM, you need to add at least another 256 MB.

Your computer may be so full of program remnants and junk files and invalid registry entries that the best option might be to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows XP.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice