1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slower-than-normal XP startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WalshSean, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

For a little over 2 months now, my computer has taken a little longer to load up. It sits on the XP Home Edition screen for about a minute or so - definitely not a huge problem, but considering it used to sit there for 30 seconds or so, it's a noticable wait.

When XP loads up, it seems that applications are a little slow to startup on their first try. The opening sound seems to stutter a bit, and programs from Media Player to IE to other stuff (FTP prog, my HTML maker program) are slow on the uptake. But if I shut it down and open it again, it opens right up; no problems. Occassionally, the cursor is a little sluggish - it's move normally and then seem to skip a bit, but it comes and goes for brief amounts of time.

Also, Norton Anti-Virus (also slow to open) takes a LOT longer to scan; a little over an hour, versus the usual 35-40 minutes.

I've tried everything to clean up my computer. I run Spybot and Adaware more often now, I've gotten rid of a bunch of unneeded programs that came with the computer, I keep up with Windows updates (haven't touched SP2 yet but this started before that was offered anyway), I *always* clear out my temp. internet files and I regularly wipe out old stuff in my TEMP folder. My RAM and disk space are not being overly strained either.

And when I shut down.......no problem. As quick as ever.

Again, it doesn't seem to be a big problem, but it's an annoyance I've come to live with......but wouldn't mind to see go away either. Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!