1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slower then a turtle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johno_84, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johno_84

johno_84 Thread Starter

Hi all, Im am lost with this problem. My laptop HP DV-6134TX 500gb 4gb of ram, is going that slow that at one stage I left it to load for 20 minutes before I was able to log in to windows. Though that was only once. It is 13 months old. The laptop takes about 5 minutes to the log in screen. After quite a good amount of time, windows will load to a point that you can see the desktop picture, but you can not open any program or even open my documents folder. I have tried loading in safe mode & last good configuration but nothing. I ran a hard drive test that HP puts on so you can test laptop in dos. That test always come back that there is an error in the hard disc.

So my question is, could it be the hard drive or another hardware or is it a windows problem? There has been no funny sounds coming from the laptop.

If it is the hard drive, what is the chance of me getting all my files of it?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question, :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what sort of sounds - clicking / scratching noises ??

have you run chkdsk at all ?
    you could try using ubuntu and see if you can copy the files across to say a USB drive

have a read below
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

UBUNTU Stand Alone CD

NOTE : version Ubuntu 12.04

It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

You can also run from a USB device now - if the Machine supports booting off a USB Stick
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

full details are here (Note this is for version 9 - so the start up options are slightly different )
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/ - Choose the option Write image file to disc
    OR
    you can use this stand alone ISO Burner to burn the ubuntu onto CD ftp://terabyteunlimited.com/burncdcc.zip

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see a screen - with Language on the left panel and two option images labelled

== > Try ubuntu
    == > Install ubuntu

You can try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, directly from this CD

Use "Try ubunto" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

NOTE: if you only see a black screen - then this is a known issue, and can be resolved by using the following:-

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion dv6134tx laptop.

You might want to add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

An infestation of malware, spyware, rogues, hijackers, adware trackers, etc. can have a noticable impact on speed and performance.

Download and save and then install the free version of

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.70.0.1100

SUPERAntiSpyware 5.6.0.1014

Make sure to update their definition files during the install process.

Make sure to uncheck and decline to install any extras, such as toolbars and homepages, they may offer.

Make sure to uncheck and decline to use the "Pro" or "Trial" version, if it's offered.

After they're installed and updated, restart the computer.

Run a QUICK scan with each of them.

When each scan is finished, select and remove EVERYTHING they found.

Restart the computer, if prompted to, so the removal process can finish.

Note: DON'T use the computer while each scan is in progress.

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To me that's all I needed to read. If the hard drive is faulty then it absolutely can cause all the symptoms you describe. The drive doesn't have to make any funny sounds to be faulty, hard drives fail all the time. I'd say you need to replace the hard drive to resolve your problem.

You should be able to retrieve the data since it still tries to boot so the drive is still accessible with either a Linux disc, or using a USB adapter and connecting the drive to the laptop after installing a new hard drive or by hooking up to another computer to copy files off it.

5. johno_84

johno_84 Thread Starter

Hi Etaf,

Thanks for responding. There is no sound coming from the hard drive. This maybe a silly question, but when I download the Ubuntu and going to burn the image imgburn, it says that the file I am trying to burn is too big and will not fit on the cd. So Im a little lost.

Johno

6. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

In case this applies:

A lady had a laptop that was so slow it was almost comatose.
    The problem was A) the ram was a small figure and B) she used the laptop for small amounts of time and shut it down - and so the problem was Windows update never completing the update for a service pack and another 250 updates. Leaving the laptop running for a day allowed the updates to complete and it ran ok again.

7. johno_84

johno_84 Thread Starter

Hi Foxidrive,

Thanks for replying. The laptop that is having the problems has 4gb ram. Because I use it for my work, the laptop is on all day and I make sure it gets updated often. Thanks :)

8. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

It may be the HDD in that case. It could be running in PIO mode and/or also having retries.

As has been mentioned, boot up a linux LIVE cdrom/USB and copy your files to a USB HDD, to be sure. Copy your essential files first, do not delete anything until all files are copied.

It will also test the hardware - if it runs ok then the problem could well be a HDD issue given the symptoms you have described.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice