1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slowing down!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chris in va, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris in va

chris in va Thread Starter

Today, whenever I open a page on the net, the mouse pointer gets really 'choppy' and the page loads very slowly. Once it's open, the mouse smoothes out. I backed off the accelerator function, but it didn't help. I don't think it's my connection, but something to do with the machine itself. Any ideas?

Clone 1ghz/60 gig h/d, win 98 SE

2. pvc9

pvc9

3. chris in va

Hmm, for some reason IE won't let me download it. Says it's not available.

4. pvc9

pvc9

Attached Files:

5. chris in va

Sorry, it still won't let me do either one. This problem is getting worse too...I'm lucky to even position the cursor in this window!

6. pvc9

pvc9

Ok, do this -

Start->Run->Msinfo32 [enter].

Go to Software Environment->Startup Programs. Click Edit->Select all->Copy. Now paste the contents here in the post.

7. chris in va

Ok, here we go...ZoneAlarm Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe"
    msnmsgr Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /background
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    PTSNOOP Registry (Machine Run) ptsnoop.exe
    SoundMan Registry (Machine Run) soundman.exe
    CompaqPrinTray Registry (Machine Run) PrinTray.exe
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    ccRegVfy Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

8. pvc9

pvc9

Try this -

Start->Run->msconfig [enter]

Click on the Startup tab and uncheck,

LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

If possible download Spybot from here . Install and run the program, it should remove/delete any spyware/adware installed.

BTW, your first post -

You said Today, so if it started recently, I'd suggest restoring registry to a previous date. :rolleyes:

When did this start?

9. chris in va

Well, it started about 3 days ago. Never had this problem before. One thing I just did while my cable modem was done crapping out was adjust the accel level on the monitor slide, and for some reason the arrow isn't stuttering any more, but I think that's just a temporary fix. I'll try those things you suggested.

10. chris in va

I tried downloading that spybot program but IE won't let me...again.

11. pvc9

pvc9

If this started 3 days back you can restore the registry, that could help. If you didnt install any new softwares recently(since 3 days) try this -

Tap F8 constantly when the system starts. This would start a bootmenu and from the menu select the Command Prompt option which would start the computer in the Command Prompt.

OR

Start->Shutdown->Restart in MS-DOS Mode->Ok.

Once at the C:\> or C:\Windows> prompt try this -

scanreg /restore

Select the date prior to the problems' starting!

12. chris in va

Ok well...I did that and it didn't do a thing. It's getting so bad now that pages take forever to load and the mouse arrow stutters to the point that I don't think I'm gonna be able to post on here much longer. I am not able to download any mpeg files at all due to this IE warning message saying the file is unavailable or not accessible.

Something's bad wrong with my machine...it never did this before. Nothing is showing up with Norton virus scan and the firewall is at medium. I even shut off ZoneAlarm completely which didn't help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice