1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slowing Down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kleitan, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kleitan

Kleitan Thread Starter

Though my computer has never been what you'd call fast, recently it seems to have slowed down a bit further. Nothing unbearable, just a few seconds of extra lag when opening a program or folder, but enough to catch my attention and prove bothersome. It also wasn't there when I built this computer about a year or so ago, so I feel it must be something I can fix.

I run Spybot and Ad-aware fairly regularly, with no results, and also have McAfee to watch for viruses. At the moment I'm considering trying a registry cleaner to see if it will help, though I thought it might be better to stop by here first and see if there's something else I haven't tried or thought of first. Thanks for any help.

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

Kleitan,
    Do not use ANY registry cleaners bad idea that is not likely your problem.

Your system gets bloated and the files system can start to get corrupt over time.
    The very best thing to do a fresh clean new install.
    but don't do that with out some preparation first. file's backed up, Drivers backed up etc...
    Do your research first see what works and what doesn't read some forums here and such and then start askin questions :)

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You said you built your computer about 1-1/2 years ago, so I'm going to assume at this point that it has a fast processor and no less than 512 MB of RAM.

My first guess would be too many unnecessary programs loading during startup and running in the background.

My second guess would be a large buildup of temp and junk files.

My third guess would be the use of too much graphic "eye candy".

From my experience, these are 3 common problems with most computer users.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Do not, I repeat, do not use a registry cleaner and expect a "miracle cure" from it because it won't happen. What will happen is that some of your programs will no longer work.

Registry cleaners are too aggressive and will get rid of VALID entries along with invalid entries.

Their use will also do nothing to improve computer performance.

If all else fails, a hard drive format and fresh install of XP might be the best option - after you've backed up and burned off to CD-R's all your photos, music, documents, favorites, address book, etc..

4. eGuyz

eGuyz

fresh install is best way

5. Kleitan

Kleitan Thread Starter

3.0 GHz processor, though not dual core, and 2 GB of ram. I've already gone through msconfig and disabled most of the startup programs I didn't need, and used disk cleanup to try to get rid of the temporary files. As for 'Eye Candy', I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I generally don't have too many fancy things running on my computer aside from games.

I guess I'll have to get around to formatting sometime then. I would have liked to avoid that, it's always a hassle to backup, and I'd have to actually find my installation CDs. Thanks for the help.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, but it'll be worth the effort don't you think?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What I meant by too much graphic "eye candy" is using too many visual effects.

I don't use wallpaper or screensavers, and I have most of the visual effects turned off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Other than my antivirus program, I have very little else running in the background. I also edit the Services list and have most of them set to "Manual".

These 2 sites are real handy for keeping the startup load trimmed down:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?type=&filter=&count=100&offset=0

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Since the lag is in opening files or programs, background apps are most likely not the culprit, particulary on a 2GB, 3MHZ box.

You could try a couple of things:
    1. Increase the FileIconCache
    2. If you have customized folders, increase that cache
    3. Since it could be related to fragmented NTFS areas that aren't touched by the Windows Defrag app, download and run a test version of PerfectDisk

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!