1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slowww LAN connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Voffi, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Voffi

Voffi Thread Starter

Hello to all,

Hope someone can help me with a small problem that's bugging my. My desktop is connected to a ADSL2+ router with a net cable. My connection is 12 Mb and my upload should be about 1mb at best. Lately I have been getting uploads as slow as 25 kb/s instead of a normal 900 or so, my download is fine at about 10 Mb. Thinking my router or cable was at fault I unplugged the cable from the desktop and plugged it into my laptop and the upload was the normal 900 kb/s Thinking the Ethernet connection to my motherboard (Asrock P4VM900-SATA2) was faulty I disabled it and installed a new pci Ethernet adapter and thought my problems would be over but there was no change. Getting pretty tired of this I unplugged the cable, installed a USB wireless dongle and everything was fine, upload 935.0kb/s download 8.85Mb/s. I prefer to be connected to the router via cable instead of wireless so no my question is: Does anyone know what is causing my problems?

My desktop has Win XP recently installed with all the SP's and updates and I do NOT have any viruses or malware and apart from this problem everything is great.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try the following

in safemode with networking
    keep tapping F8 as the PC starts a menu should appear
    choose safemode with networking
    Now test the speed - if that works ok - then something in normal mode is blocking and we need to go through a controlled process of trail and error

also try this reset and see if that solves issue
    TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Voffi

Voffi Thread Starter

Hello,

Tried what you suggested and there was no change. Decided to try another ZyXEL router I''ve got and problem solved. Thanks for your help.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice