1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sluggish download w/cable & router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by judester, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. judester

judester Thread Starter

I have a cable internet connection and a broadband router (linksys). When I am connected only to the cable I don't have much of a problem, but when I am connected to the router -whether or not any other computer is connected as well - I often experience slow downloads. This typically happens right from the start, after turning on the computer, although on occasion it develops after a little while.

My system is clean, has no programs that are holding onto RAM or much that starts running on startup. I clear off spyware frequently. I don't believe my computer is at fault here but I could be wrong; there could be a configuration issue that I have not discovered. Yet, if so, I don't know why the system works well some of the time.

The sluggishness often clears up after I restart the computer two or three times or after I reboot the cable modem (which also involved shutting down and starting up again). I have to do this too often, though, and am hoping some of you can find a hint in what I've said here and offer a suggestion.

===
    my system: PC with celeron 533, 384 megs RAM, ten-gig boot drive (64% free), 120-gig secondary drive (about 84% free), runnign Windows 2000, updated.

2. JenniferLore

JenniferLore Banned

I had that problem a few weeks ago when I switched from DSL to cable. My download should be ~4400 Kbps. But with the router it was ~325 Kbps.

I use a linksys VPN router. After hours of useless troubleshooting I decided to update the firmware on the router before throwing it in the trash. This solved the problem. My average download now is ~4100.

Also make sure your MTU setting is either disabled or set to ~ 1459. If it is too low you will slow your bandwith considerably.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For cable modems, set the MTU to 1500.

4. judester

judester Thread Starter

I have set it to 1500. I also updated the firmware. That was the first thing that I thought might actually make a difference, but it didn't.

I find that when I leave my computer running, once it is working and downloading well, it tends to stay that way. But when I turn it off and start it again later, I often have difficulty with the internet connection. Slow downloads of mail or web pages or anything at all.

If the problem were consistent it would be easier to diagnose.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you considered the possibility of a hardware issue, like a bad cable or NIC?

I had a very erratic download speed with a D-Link DI-614+ router, and it turned out to be a defective WAN port on the router. I'd get semi-normal speeds, and then dial-up speeds. Finally narrowed it down to the router and got a replacement. It's been working fine ever since. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice