1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sluggish Startup/Shutdown and More!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Godfree, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Hello again guys,

My previous problem about startup entries not loading has seemed to stop, once my desktop is displayed and they start to load they actually load much faster than before, however now I am having 2 new problems.

Now, when I start my computer or shut it down, it takes MUCH MUCH longer to do either task.

Before, when I was starting my computer, it would go from the Windows loading screen with the little green loading bar, right to the Windows Vista "orb" welcome screen instantly. However, now after the Windows loading screen disappears it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds before that screen even shows up. Also, after entering my password, it used to say "Loading" or "Logging On" and go right to the desktop really fast, that now probably takes about 10 seconds as well.

Also, when I click on Shut Down or Restart, my PC doesnt seem to even be doing anything for a minute or two, it looks like its just idling... then finally anything open begins to close and it shuts down. This used to happen almost instantly as well, I would hit shutdown or restart and it would close things right away.

Recently, I installed Zone Alarm Pro 7.1.078.000 (Vista Compat. version) and I deleted a few startup entries that I didnt seem to need anymore with CCleaner, however, ever since then I've started having these problems. Is there any chance that either of those 2 thing could effect my PC like it is? I have a reg backup from 9/27 but its 145Mb... seems a little big to me..

Another weird quirk is ZoneAlarm has been blocking ALOT of inbound attempts (up to 38,324 in a short time :eek:) AVG Anti--Spyware did just remove Worm.Fujacks.K and Logger.Banker.zn as well as random tracking cookies, but AVG Anti Vir came up clean, could those 2 entries do all that damage? I dont seem to be getting anymore right now, but it was going up by 2-3 every second yesterday.

Haha... sorry for the HUGE post guys... trying to be really detailed :rolleyes:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Everything that you install and needs to be started or check for updates on "Boot up" is going to add to the time it takes to fully boot.
    This problem is NOT new and has been around since the DOS days. You just need to figure out what your really need to be started at boot and eliminate the others.

3. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Well the thing is that I had MORE things booting before, and the time it took for the system to start up was faster, I wouldnt have posted if there wasn't an actual reason for concern, im relatively decent with computers myself. :D

The cause for concern is that I had added ZoneAlarm to my PC, and then removed about 6 or more startup entries(iTunes, QTTask, FlashGet, DAEMON tools, and a few others.) and it started to slow down. I was wondering if anyone know of ZA causing such a slowdown or any other checks.

The programs actually load very fast, that isn't what the issue is, its the time it takes to go from the black screen with the loading bar to the windows welcome orb, then from after signing on till my desktop is visible. After I sign on my screen goes blank for 10 seconds before anything even shows, then after that happens it loads fast. Believe me if it were just slow because I had alot of programs running I wouldn't have posted :p

4. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Well I have come to the conclusion that it's not the programs but rather the services section that is the problem. I ran msconfig and ran in diagnostic mode, and the computer logged in within seconds as with shutting down.

I then enabled half my program startup and again, no problems. I tried again with all my programs enabled.. and yet again nothing. Then i turned on my services and bam... takes ages to shut down again. The startup actually hasn't been a problem, its loading very fast, however the shutdown still takes quite some time. Earlier today it took the computer 20 minutes to shut down from the time I hit the shutdown button :eek:. Im going to try enabling only half my services and see how it goes, just keeping you all updated!

5. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Ok well, the problem persists and I'm getting slightly concerned with some of my eventlog information, here are the ones im talking about:

Windows has shutdown:
    Shutdown Duration : 427277ms :eek:
    IsDegradation : false
    Incident Time (UTC) : 11/8/2007 8:06:03 PM

Information about the system performance monitoring event:
    Scenario : System Responsiveness
    Analysis result : Analysis was successful and rootcauses were found
    Incident Time (UTC) : 11/9/2007 1:08:32 AM

Windows has started up:
    Boot Duration : 171509ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : 11/9/2007 1:04:38 AM

This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
    File Name : WinDefend
    Friendly Name : Service Module
    Version : 1.1.1505.0
    Total Time : 51989ms
    Degradation Time : 14859ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : 11/8/2007 8:06:03 PM

there are several (about 10-12 other programs) taking ~7,000-20,000 ms of shutdown performance slowing. Does anyone have any information about this... because thats some crazy *** shutdown time...

and just for reference... here's an old one from a few months ago to compare:

Windows has shutdown:
    Shutdown Duration : 7298ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : 9/29/2007 4:03:15 AM

420,000 ms difference... thats pretty steep

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!