1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sluggish video performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by socomplicate, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. socomplicate

socomplicate Thread Starter

I own a Sapphire Radeon 9000PRO 128M video card. After doing some benchmarks, I found that the video card excels in 2D graphics, but is very poor at 3D graphics. It was slower than almost every card except for integrated video. My system configuration is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    512M PC2700 333Mhz RAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    Gigabyte GA-700N-L Motherboard
    Creative Audigy Gamer Sound Card

Everything else in my system is working just fine. Running applications is no problem, but when it comes to games, I'm not getting good frame rates. For example, I got around 30 fps running Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, which is not a very demanding game. I set the resolution at 1204*768 with default graphics settings. I know my video card is a mediocore one, but I should be getting around 50 fps. Settings in the ATI control panel are at default. Also, I can't change the AGP aperture size in my BIOS. AGP setting is at 4X. Am I doing something wrong, or are some settings incorrect? Any suggestions? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. pronute

pronute

Your probably doing nothing wrong, 30 fps @ 1204X768 resolution is about right for that chipset.

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

In BIOS:

Disable Fast Writes
    Set Graphics Aperture to 64
    Set Video Cache Mode to UC

Go into the advanced settings in the ATI Control Panel (under Display Properties)and disable v-sync. Put ALL settings to High Performance. Set your video card refresh rate to 85MHz.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Also... Lower the res to 1024x768 or lower.

The ATI9000 card is an entry level card, about the same as a GeForce3. NFSII, while not graphicly heavy on the system, the code is not very tight. But on a fast system, I've been able to play UT2003 with low settings "okay".

5. socomplicate

My settings are already at what StillLearnin' suggested. The only thing I couldn't set was the aperture size because my BIOS doesn't offer that option. What else should I do? Should i try overclocking the video card?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried updating your drivers? Not only should you update your video card drivers ( www.ati.com ), you should also update your chipset drivers for your motherboard - Via or NVidia.

7. zeddy

zeddy

Can you double check the motherboard model number.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

If you want higher frame rates, replace the card with something faster.

$80 - Nvidia Ti4200-64mb (MSI brand - may include 5 games)
    $150 - ATI 9600PRO 128mb (NON pro = $110, go for the PRO)
    $250 - ATI 9700PRO 128mb - very nice.

9. socomplicate

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7N400L. I also updated the nforce 2 chipset drivers and got the latest catalyst driver from Sapphire. I'm getting about 40fps on average but video is sometimes choppy and goes down to 20fps at times.

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

That's normal... its a very slow DX8 card, your frame rate is about was is to be expected from such a card. Its not a bad card, its just based on a design that is about 3 years old. When more things happen, your frame rate drops...

hence HARDCORE gamers WANT and deman 100+ fps on their games so when the frame rate drops, it doesn't get to low to be noticable.

I've gone through this myself saying "Gee, as long as your 30fps, what the big deal?" - that was many years ago. If the machine was at least a constant 30~40fps then it wouldn't much of a problem... but different games will play differently on the video card. There are games out there that can make a $500 video card perform about 35~40fps on AVG!! And that is on a 3Ghz P4 computer... imagine it on a slower machine... and on a slower card (Lowering settings and details makes the game playable).

As stated: - reduce your resolution to 800x600... reduce details

Or buy a new card.

11. socomplicate

Right now, I've got no money to spend on a new video card, but I will try to lower detail settings. Thx for the help you guys!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice