1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Small Bug With IE 7, Adobe Reader, & Favorites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

Here's something interesting. I have Windows XP, IE 7, and Adobe Reader 8 (all updates installed.) For some strange reason, if I go to a site that uses very old Pdf file formats (i.e Adobe Reader files.) IE 7 does not let me open up my Imported Favorites from the Menu Bar either after going to a PDF site and being on that site or shortly thereafter. All other Favorite folders open fine, just the Imports folder that I have had for years and years (including backups) going all the way back to my old Gateway and Windows 98. I never had this problem in IE 6. Appears to be something about IE 7, old imported bookmarks, and Adobe Reader being inside the browser that IE 7 does not like.

The strange part is that if I go to an Adobe Reader PDF site that is regularly updated I don't seem to have this problem. (I also had this issue with Adobe Reader 7.08, but can not recall this issue with IE6 ever. There are three workarounds.

1.) Going to the new Favorites Center (farthest left star) in IE 7 where it works fine

2.) Double-clicking a few times to get the Import Folder to open and going to the sites that way.

3.) Closing IE 7 and relaunching

It seems to be related to possible code from the days long past of previous browsers. I have Folder Imports from the days of...........NETSCAPE 4.5! I did what everyone did when IE became the main browser just imported them over. They worked for me in Opera and all the versions of IE/Windows, even SP-2. I wonder if this bug is an IE7 issue, an Adobe Reader issue with IE 7, or just that those folders are so old in some cases (not all) that IE 7 doesn't know what to do with them. It's funny that it only happens with Adobe Reader after visiting an older PDF site. Thoughts?

Jack

2. TOGG

TOGG

Have a look at the section 'Problems with web sites that won't work with IE7' here; http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#spoof Apparently there is a tool you can d/l and use to make 7 identify itself as 6.

Alternatively, you could follow the advice about rolling back to 6 or use an alternative browser.

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I checked MS knowledge base bulletin boards. This is a known issue with older Pdf files having trouble adapting to IE 7. Here is the easiest work around for this bug:

In Adobe Reader 8.0 (The latest Version) click on Edit, and go to Preferences, than on the left side of the screen find the Internet tab and select it. You want to UNCHECK the default option that says, "Open PDF files in the browser." When you do this, Adobe Reader will configure itself to open all Pdf files in their own Reader Window and NOT in IE 7. (This is how older versions of Adobe Reader used to do this anyway.) This says to Adobe Reader, "I am gonna control all elements of how a Pdf file works without relying on the browser." It's a good workaround. If you have IE 6 and functionality works ok between Adobe Reader and IE 6, you can leave the "Open From Within The Browser" option selected.

Jack

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528142