1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Small business file backup systems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buck52, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buck52

buck52 Banned Thread Starter

Howdy

My boss thinks he wants upgrade to a new backup system for daily/weekly files...not system files but database files.
    At the moment he is using an old tape drive type thing. I think he said the weekly complete backup is about 7gigs.
    Doesn't sound like he wants to do it with multiple cd's or dvd's
    Any suggestions or links I can point him to?

thanks

buck

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

He could use a slave drive and acronis trueimage. That is how I set my sister in law up.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

I'd use a DVD burner and 9.4GB DVD-RAM discs (make sure the burner supports DVD-RAM). I set up a local lawyer's office with this to replace their old Castlewood Orb 2GB drive, they're very easy to use as you can treat the discs like an extra hard disk (or extra-large ZIP disk).

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I backup the office files by useing directory mirroring (synchronization) throughout the network of encrypted zipped files, a copy of the accounting files is also sent via password protected zip file to my terabyte hriders email account for offsite backup. Each PC used in the company has the ability to become the main server at a location at a moments notice, since each PC has the neccessary files on it's drive. All it takes if a server goes down in a location is renaming a workstation to the offline server's name, unzipping the encrypted files, and setting group permissions. (maybe later I'll set up scripts for the workstations to make it even easier)

This way, backups exist throughout the company, and nothing short of a disaster that takes out all locations can distroy all backups. When a server has gone down in the past, it normally takes only around ten minutes to bring the network back up.

The way I have it set up, is when a user logs into the server, a script automatically downloads any changes in sychronized directories. The machines are set to log users out if thier account remains inactive for a certain period. Therefore, multiple backups are made throughout the day. Each machine creates a log of users logging in, so a quick scan of the log files on the network tells the newest backup available.

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

That's nice, but the topic distinctly names a "small business" setup ;)

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

We have about 20 employees.. I think we qualify. :)

Only four office workers, the rest is sales staff and technicians.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

As of next month, we'll be going to document imaging instead of paper filing. Got my hands full a little with that..

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Oh, by the way.. www.hriders.com offers free terabyte email to it's members.. Makes for great offsite backup protection if you have a broadband connection.. We learned the hard way that offsite backup is important by a warehouse fire several years back.

for info, see here: http://www.hriders.com/web_page.cfm?web_pageID=38

9. Arcadion

Arcadion

Well, your solution requires the use of redundant backups over multiple computers, what if they only have one computer? And since they want to replace their tape backup system, I think the simplest way is to replace it with something similar, e.g. a DVD burner. Total cost of my solution = a couple of hundred bucks.

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Better solution is external case and a IDE hard drive useing USB 2.0 or firewire.. But that's just my personal opinion.

Large hard drives can be had for around $40 (Just bought a 160gb for $50AR), a external case can be had for around $20.. Write a batchfile, or a script, or use backup software, or imaging software to make it easy. Then unplug the drive and take it with you.

If you do go with a DVD burner, please be aware that DVD's go bad over time. The quality of the disks you use means alot. I'd stick with Ritek Ridata G05, Traxdata, or Datarite brand media.. Stay away from Khypermedia and generic brands. Don't buy into the hype that a DVD disks last forever..

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I still think acronis would work. It does incremental backups but we aren't clear as to how many computers he is backing up. I might have misunderstood,(nothing new) but I was picturing one computer. If it is more than one then an external would be nice.

I back my stuff up on cdr but I waste allot of CDs too. After about a year anything I have backed up has been upgraded to the point my back ups are obsolete. Oh well, for $10 for 50 I can't complain too much.:D

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The reason you don't want to image the drive to another fixed disk or partition is because a disaster like a fire (think firemen with water hoses and heat), or theft can wipe out your mission critical system in one swoop. Offsite, or removable backup is a must.

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I can't believe he's trusting his mission critical systems to a weekly backup.. I'd say he needs to backup daily, and retain each for at least a week.
    I wouldn't want to redo a weeks paperwork from scratch.

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Aha, I gotcha. The bell just rang. If it were in the machine and................GONE.:p

15. Arcadion

Arcadion

I think the external hard disk is a bad idea, as all you need to do is drop it or give it a good knock and your backup is history.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice