1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Small Business Server 2003 Hijacked.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dpcsa, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpcsa

dpcsa Thread Starter

I would love to post a hijack this report or TSG sys info but I can't even log into my server DELL Poweredge 420 server running 2003 Small Business Server. CTRL-ALT-DELETE doesn't work--I have tried many different keyboards. I have backup's of the user data, but not of the server system partition data. The client computers seem to be working OK but one running XP Professional I'm sure has a virus. I am more concerned about the server at this point and what is going on. I could clean up the client computer but I think it would just get reinfected from the server. Notice this is an old server and this could be a hardware failure also. I've had the memory fail once which I had to replace.

Things I was thinking of doing.
    1. Boot Ubuntu 10.4 from a thumb drive on the server (not sure this would work), and copy all the server data off the system and data partitions to an external hard drive.

2. I have a RAID 1 mirror (two 80 gb drives), and I was thinking of breaking the mirror C: and D: drives and loading a new installation of XP or Small Business server on the C: drive and seeing if I could run some virus program pointing to the secondary plex on the D: driver to clean it up and restore from there. I would really like to see if I could get a bootable CD or DVD that would boot from the E: drive and be able to do virus cleanup. Any help here would be a god send.

If you think I should post to the server forum I will. Just thought this might be the right place.

Thanks in advance. :)

---Dave (dpcsa).

2. dpcsa

dpcsa Thread Starter

The server problem was fixed by a recommendation from a fellow techie. Log onto to the server in safe mode and see if the problem ctrl-alt-delete not working problem goes away -- which it did!. I was then able to log in without being in safe mode.

Thank god it was that easy. No virus found after logging in.

The client computer is crashing with BSOD mentioning watchdog.sys. I will follow the instructions given at the top of this forum and post that problem separately.

---Dave :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice