1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

small business server 2003

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robertax, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertax

robertax Thread Starter

Hi, my existing network has 3 pc runnin win 2000 with dos client; and a server runnin a dos dispatch/accounting operating system as a workgroup network. I bought a new dispatch/accounting application that requires Windows Server. How do i configure windows Small Business Server 2003 so i can continue to use my old dispatch system and add a xp workstation and a server running SBS 2003 and my new dispatch software. I would like to be able to migrate my customer data base from old to new over a period of time but keep my operation running.I understand my new server will be the domain server which i will setup with 2 nic cards, a DSL router with a static IP. How do i set up my LAN so all 5 pc share data from both servers?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

A few ideas -

Since the SBS is set to be on a domain. I would say you could leave it on the domain and leave all PC's on the Workgroup you have then you will need to make sure to setup the permissions on the server so you can connect in to the drives and application that resides on it...

Does this new application run directly off the server or does it just require a network drive mapping?

If the application is loaded directly on the server and can be ran on it and it does not have to be housed on a client PC. Then you can Remote Desktop into the SBS server and load the 2000 clients with the Remote Desktop Client found here - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx and then be connected diretly to the server and do what you need to. Then over time as you go to the new system fully you can add machines to the domain and then phase out the dos app.

3. robertax

robertax Thread Starter

Thank you, i will try this and get back to you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!