1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Small Form Factor Dell PC Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lu Zhun, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I am making this post to find out what you all suggest on a small graphics card I can get to insert into the PCI Express x16 slot of my Dell Optiplex 760 computer?

It is a small form factor so it will have to be a very small card and one that does not require a lot of power since the power supply is only 250w I believe.

Right now, it is using the onboard VGA connection and a CRT monitor is hooked up to it. I would like to use a DVI monitor and maybe even be able to run some older games on minimum settings.

I will try to include a few pictures of the desktop.

[​IMG] ___________ [​IMG]

The computer specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz CPU
    4GB RAM DDR2-800
    DVDROM
    Onboard Video and Sound cards
    Vista Business
    250w Power Supply? I could check this to verify.
    2TB Sata Hard drive

Would an XFX HD 5450 work? Here is a link to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CIWOybmL97oCFa8WMgodkSkAyQ&Item=N82E16814150565&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814150565&[email protected]:20131122000127:s

The dimensions of the card are: 7.17" x 3.19" x 1.1" which should fit I would say?
    but it does specify that a minimum of a 400w power supply is recommended,
    so I should stay away from that one?

Another option would be to upgrade the power supply if you all know any that can fit this computer, so that way I have the option of upgrading to a more powerful graphics card in the future. For now though, I would just like to a use a low profile DVI video card.

Thanks for your suggestions. Have a nice day! :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are fighting an up hill battle trying to upgrade an optiplex. I think we must have close to 3000 of those systems and they are fine for what they are designed to do; ie run office apps, print flight releases, print weather data, etc. They are NOT made for any type of gaming.

Any video card that you could get that would work with the pw supply currently installed is not really going to give you any real improvement in graphics.

In addition, the SFF type cases have problems dissipating the extra heat generated by a video card.
    That card required a minimum of 400W pw supply. So no it is not going to work.

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    CRJ, If Im incorrect please let me know...

@Lu Zuhn I used to have an optiplex 280 with a 300 W PSU and used an older ddr2 XFX 5450 with passive cooling. It ran fine and cool. From memeory I believe that specific card used MAX of 25 W under full load??? I am assuming the 5450 DDR3 model would be almost the same??? So Cannot guarantee it will work...however It MAY work..although I do agree with it being SFF that heat may certainly be an issue.. :)

4. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the answers so far. There is 1 or 2 additional pci slots by the PCI express slot if I am correct. I should really take a look inside the case again, lol. So I may also buy a pci fan to hopefully help with keeping the card cool if it will blow on the card sitting right next to it. Having a PCI fan may also help with moving air around?

I am also finding on other forums that certain low profile video cards only use around 50w or less under a full load. The manufacturers state higher specs than what is really needed to run the cards most of the time from other answers I have seen thus far but I like to be precautious though and give the power supply some leg room if I can. I know 250w or under 300w power supply does not give too many options.

Here is a link to one such answer. Look at the best answer for that question. He even compares graphics cards that will fit the small form factor. Thank you again. I will keep checking back often to see if this gets updated even more. Have an amazing day.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120702082459AARU3yH

5. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    You're correct IMO, about stating MANUFACTURERS safety limits. However a PCI FAN is going to USE EVEN MORE POWER as well, Like I said above It wokred fine for me even for light gaming, HOWEVER mine was a lil older and I had the 305W PSU too.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Remember this fact. When you go with minimum or less than minimum requirements, you make that part work at it's max rating all of the time. Just think how long would the engine in your car last if you ran it at full throttle all of the time???

That is exactly what you are doing to the pw supply when you do not meet min requirements.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1113599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice