1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Small Home network, Should be easy for you guys! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Insane, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Insane

Insane Thread Starter

Ok,My dad's been complaining that I am always on the computer when he wants to talk to his internet lover in the philipenes, so i suggested getting a wireless router that he can use with the laptop we bought last year and be in his own room talking to her when ever he wants. Now, I am a hardcore Gamer, and I don't want his Internet use to screw with my gaming experience, and I have a feeling, since he is only chatting and going on cam, it doesnt have to. My question is, when my main computer (the one i use) is connected to the wireless router (connected with a cable) , even if his is off, i get connection problems or, "Lag Spikes" when I am playing my games. Extremely annoying, because these lag spikes sometimes last long enough that the sever i am connected to boots me off. In my computer I have 2 network cards and i tried connecting the Cable internet to my 1st network card and the router to the second network card leaving the router free of all cables except input from the internet (from the second network card). If i do that tho his internet on his wireless laptop doesn't get the internet. :eek: I really would like my connection to have full advantage of the internet, being directly connected resulting in no lag spikes. His doesn't require the stability that mine does. Now i love tha guy but i spent over 2 thousand upgrading my PC in the past year just to play the high end video games like BFV and BF : DC so can you all tell me what to do? thanks! hope you enjoyed my story!!! (y)

Do i need to bridge them? cuz it gives me an error about 2 or more network connections not using the internet or w/e. o well hope u understand the senario! if not i will draw a pic for you! ;) jk! :p

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

It may be a prob with your network card, because if he isn't using his puter and you still get spikes there's something wrong. :( You could try leaving the the modem connected to the router and connect the router to the "other" network card and see what happens. :) If any one should be lagging it should be your Dads with the wireless.

3. Insane

Insane Thread Starter

What if i bridge the connections of my two network cards and plug them both into the router? Imma try it! see what happens!

4. Insane

Insane Thread Starter

nothing changed!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice