1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Small Office Networking Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by enbee07, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enbee07

enbee07 Thread Starter

Heres my issue. I am undertaking the task of setting up a small network for the office where I work and I have ran into a few issues. Here is the setup:

MODEM > DLINK ETHERNET SWITCH > PC1 (XP)
    DLINK ETHERNET SWITCH > PC2 (XP)
    DLINK ETHERNET SWITCH > CANON IR2018 PRINTER
    DLINK ETHERNET SWITCH > WIRELESS ROUTER > NETWORK HARD DRIVE STORAGE

WIRELESS ROUTER > LAPTOP 1 (VISTA)
    WIRELESS ROUTER > LAPTOP 2 (XP)

PC1 (main desktop) and PC2 are networked (PC2 runs a cnc machine.)
    This network is MSHOME

Laptop 1 and Laptop 2 are also added to the workgroup MSHOME but are not visible on PC1 or PC2
    PC1 and PC2 are not visible on either of the LAPTOPS
    LAPTOP 1 and LAPTOP 2 are visible to each other and can also access the CANON IR2018 PRINTER
    NETWORK HARD DRIVE STORAGE is visible to both LAPTOP 1 and LAPTOP 2 but not visible on either PC1 or PC2

Am I overlooking a router setting ?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your modem is a modem only and the switch is really a switch then you must have 4 public IP addresses and are unnecessarily exposing your printer and two computers.

Your wireless router is protecting your Laptops from the outside and from your PC1 and PC2 the same way my router is protecting my computers from you and everybody else on the internet.

Solve your problems by connecting the wireless router to the modem and have everything in the same LAN. The switch connects to one of the router's LAN ports to give you more ethernet ports.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice