1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Small Office Setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nash325, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nash325

Nash325 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I work in a small office where we have one PC desktop (windows7 Pro), one Mac, and one PC (windows7 Home Prem.). I would like to use the PC desktop as a server for sharing files with the Mac and Laptop. I have a lynksys router already setup for internet use and the PC desktop has a 1terabyte external hardrive (seagate) that stores all files via usb port. I think I have all that I need, but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using a NAS (Network Attached Storage) is better, but since you already have the external hard drive that will be OK if it meets your needs. Remember to backup frequently, as external hard drives also fail.

3. Nash325

Nash325 Thread Starter

Thanks, but how can I get the two other computers to access the files on the PC desktop ?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    File and Printer Sharing. See PCWorld's Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition.

Short description for Windows 7 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Home' (or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094491