small office VPN's? please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MrFixItGuy

I work in a small office of 6 users. We currently have a Windows 2000 server running as a domain controller and a file server. We have taken on some international clients, and several of our employees need to travel. While on travel leave, they need to access our server to download presentations, update files, etc.

What do we need to set up VPN remote access? Right now we are connected to the internet via cable modem and a D-Link DI-707P broadband router. The server is connected to port 1 of the router, and all 6 users are connected to ports 2-7 of the router.

Do we need additional hardware or software (VPN client?) to set up the connections? I have read in some articles that the windows 2000 server must have two NIC cards to allow VPN connections? True?

I have never set up a VPN connection before, so any suggestions on products/companies would be most appreciated. Assume that I know nothing, because I know NOTHING.

The most important thing is that the solution be very secure, and as cost-effective as possible. We are not cheap, but we don't have money to burn for no reason either.

Thank you.

You will also need to contact the cable company and ask for a static IP address otherwise VPN will not work.

One thing to consider though, Windows 2000 is certainly an adequate VPN server, but not much of a firewall. Nor is your dlink router (good product but not really designed for a corporate environment). A 350.00 SOHO firewall will usually do a better job and offer better security. I use Watchguard and it has been worth it's weight in gold the last few months. (I've heard good things about sonic wall products also). They will also help you set it up which will ensure that it is done right.

Steve

MrFixItGuy

Thank you Bob and Steve, for such quick replies. Bob, your website looks like it can walk even a newbie like myself through the process. Much appreciated, sir.

Steve, we already have a static IP address. When obtaining internet access, we anticipated using services that would require a static IP, so we purchased that upfront. Thanks for the mention of the Watchguard products, I will go look at their product line.

The two questions I still have are (1) will the Windows 2000 server need an additional NIC? (If so, I have no where left to connect it to our router).... (2) admitting that I have not read all the way through Bob's tutorial, will the remote clients need specific software installed to connect to our network? or can they initiate a session without special software?

Thanks so much for the help.

No the server doesn't need an extra NIC you are suing the VPN as a network gateway device. Some VPN's, most I have used, have client software to create the VPN connection. I have used SonicWall as well and was very pleased with it.

Win98 will need to have the DUN 1.4 upgrade but otherwise Windows2000 and XP clients have it built in.

The instructions for how to configure the clients is on my site as well.

You will need to configure the router for a Virtual Server also to allow pptp packets to come in and be routed to your Windows server.

Steve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online