1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SMART hard drive failure warning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamialex, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

Hello,

Yesterday, I started to get troubles with my laptop, an Acer Aspire 1650 with Samsung HM100JC HDD. First, I was getting the "blue screen of death" quite a few times and today everytime I've been starting my laptop, I got the message "Warning, SMART has detected that a hard drive failure may be imminent. Please back up your data immediately. Hit F1 to continue.".

So obvioulsy I did a back up and now I'm trying to do a diagnostic of my hard drive by using Samsung Drive Diagnostic Utility that I found on their website : http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ort_HUTIL.html

But they only explain how to do it with a bootable floppy disk and I don't have a drive for floppy disks, only a CD/DVD drive. So I downloaded the .iso that they give but I don't know how to use it. I burnt that iso on a disc and try to reboot the laptop with the CD inside but it doesn't launch it and if I try to open the iso when a windows session is opened, it doesn't work.

So my first question is : how do I do a diagnostic of my HDD without a floppy disc?
    Also, is it difficult to replace a HDD in a laptop? Or do I need to get a professional to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Alexandra

2. bigbear

bigbear

Did you change the first boot to CD when you tried to run the ISO?
    It not differcult to change the hard drive, the hard part is cloning from the old to the new.
    It in involves buying an adapter that allows you to hook up two drives at the same time.
    Then using third party software to clone from your old drive to the new.

3. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

Thanks bigbear :)
    No I didn't change the first boot to CD, how do you do that?

4. bigbear

bigbear

With the cd in the drive reboot, keep tapping F8 this should bring up the boot menu.
    Just choose CD as first boot, if you have burnt the ISO correctly the machine should boot from it

5. lamialex

lamialex Thread Starter

It worked, thanks! (y)
    But now I have to change my hard drive :(
    Which brands are the best? No way I'm getting a Samsung again, it was only 15 months old this one. I guess I need to get a hard drive that is compatible with the laptop I have?
    Any good online shops in the UK?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice