SMART - probability of failure?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moxy

My Maxtor 120 hard drive started reporting that it failed the SMART test. Delving deeper, it says that my Reallocated Sector Count is running out (Threshold 63, Actual 55). PowerMax's full read test "certifies" everything is fine.

To me, that doesn't seem to be serious enough to warrant replacing the drive. Any opinions? Am I heading to a catastrophe?

crjdriver

I would backup anything important right away. That way if the drive does in fact fail, it is not a problem to replace it and restore data / work files.

Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

I've replaced a LOT of harddrives over the years, and I've never known the SMART feature to be wrong yet. If SMART indicates that drive failure is imminent, do you REALLY want to risk losing all of your data in the hopes that the SMART technology is WRONG?

Repairing systems for OEMs is an education in itself; when people waited too long to send their systems in with a SMART warning, we often had to replace the HDD and do a fresh install of the OS from the recovery disks. We simply weren't able to save their data, and NO good technician wants to return a system without including the personal data we were entrusted with. We did everything short of brain-surgery to recover what we could, but more times than not, the data was unrecoverable due to HDD failure.

I URGE you to contact Maxtor to see if the drive is under warranty. There is a page on the website where you can enter the HDD serial number to find out EXACTLY when the warranty expires; I hope your HDD is still covered by the warranty...

Happy New Year; best of luck with this.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I gotta' sing with the chorus here, don't ignore the warning! Truthfully, I've had one hard disk that had a SMART failure for several years, but it was a marginal seek speed that occasionally triggered the SMART warning. Other than that, my experience is that SMART warnings either portended impending drive failure, or it had already failed.

Rukee

Banned
I had one drive run for awhile with the SMART failure posting, it didn`t last a few years(a couple weeks at most), but it did finally fail at a most inopportune time.

moxy

OK, thanks for your input everyone. I'll look into getting a new disk tomorrow. Unfortunately it is out of warranty. <sigh> Four drives bit the dust in '05.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online