Solved Smart TV Screen is all Haywire

BearKiller

Philips 46PFL3608
The problem first began last night; and, for the first few hours, only affected about the left sixth of the screen; the picture for the rest of the screen was fine.
Sound is not affected.
At that time, the left-most portion of the screen still had a detailed picture, it was just much lighter than the rest and at sometimes almost white.
It remained like that until earlier tonight and then rapidly got worse until there is no picture at all.
The entire screen is a pattern of fine lines, both horizontal and vertical, black and white amid varying shades of grey.
At the extreme corners of the screen, these lines round off.

Broader vertical bands slowly migrate across the screen, from right to left.

I have tried all the silly cures in the troubleshooting section of the manual with no effect whatsoever.

This situation carries through for every "source" and the "Home" and "Menu" and such are not viewable.

I am thinking this TV is about ten years old, maybe older.

Is this something I can easily fix; or, do I need to head to the sinkhole with it and order another one ?

BearKiller

What makes a TV a "smart" TV ?
Can one still buy a normal, not smart, TV ?
We have DISH and Hopper, several VCRs and DVD players.
I doubt we will ever use any of the other "features", Hulu, Netflix, etc.
I read of people running short of memory and of Amazon filling up what little memory they have; I have no idea what they are meaning.

BearKiller

Definitely sounds like it's time to retire that one. :(
Thanks for your help.

I got a new one on the way.

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Insi...nid=1248877011&s=tv&smid=ANSF0RE9FUP82&sr=1-4

I didn't care much for the silly leg set-up, so I got this as well:

https://www.amazon.com/AM-alphamoun...623876574&sprefix=TV+pedestal,aps,832&sr=8-18

In the mean time, I have been watching TV on an old laptop via a RCA-connected video-capture device and ArcSoft ShowBiz; the sound is coming through the old dead-screen TV because the audio quit working on the video capture device..
It is a definite step back from viewing the 46-inch screen.

BearKiller

For what it's worth...., the screen has now turned to a swirled mixture of greys with no lines or bars at all.

Another thing I have noticed = always before, there was a little Red LED at bottom front center at all times the TV was on; now, that LED is a pale blue; which makes me wonder, maybe turning from bright red to pale blue is supposed to be indicative of something.

Nice TV and stand, Enjoy. (y)

That "bright red to pale blue" sounds like our planet. Used to be a ball of fire and now it's pale blue. Sure hope that's not "indicative of" ... :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online