1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

smartdisk 250gb external not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightfighter, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightfighter

lightfighter Thread Starter

I have a SmartDisk 250 gb external harddrive that seems to not be recognised on my computer (vista premium os). I plug it in, it does not go into the usual "installing new hardware" thing, but I can go into the device manager and the hardrive is listed as being on the system. But, in the device manager, it is named "Samsung SP2514N". I downloaded the drivers for that model and installed, still have no access to it. the device manager gives the following info on it:
    Disk: Disk 3
    Type: Basic
    Partition Style: Master Boot Record (MBR)
    Capacity: 238474 MB
    Unallocated space: 2 MB
    Reserved space: 0 MB

thats all I have on it. any help on accessing and using this harddrive would be greatly appreciated

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator It's My Birthday!

Does the drive show in Disk Management? Have you ever used the drive before and does it have any data on it?

Click on the Start Button, right click on Computer and select Manage. In the Storage section select Disk Management. You should see the drive there.

4. lightfighter

yes, its listed in disk management. It shows on the detailed chart at the bottom, 230.02 GB healthy (active, primary partition), 2.87 gb healthy (primary partition). file system entry is blank, that might be why I can't access it.
    It has only been used twice since I bought it. Without going into a lengthy explanation as to why, I first tried to make it winxp bootable, that was impossible, so next I tried to make it bootable with a certain linux distro, this also proved undoable (or at least undoable for anyone less than a professional user), and when I first tried to use it for regular data storage, this problem begins.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator It's My Birthday!

So there's nothing on it that you want or need?

Thats good if thats the case. You can right click on the drive/partition and delete any existing partition and then create a new one.

6. lightfighter

great thank you :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!