1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SmartHeap Library

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by UAPilot1960, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UAPilot1960

UAPilot1960 Thread Starter

Hi.

I have been getting the following error/problem alot in the last few months and it's becoming more frequent and annoying as it usually results in explorer shutting down and my system locking up resulting the the numerous reboots of late.

I have a Win98SE Pentium III-500 with 256M ram

I get this box that appears entitiled "SmartHeap Library" and in the box it says MEM_BAD_POINTER and gives me the option to click on two buttons, OK and Cancel.

When I click OK, it just shows the same box again with the same info and buttons.....it goes on and on until I just give up and reboot. If I click on Cancel...then explorer has a fault and the system locks up...again resulting in a reboot.

What is this and why is it happening more and more lately? More importantly, how do i solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

:confused:

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

According to all of the information I could collect on SmartHeap, it is some sort of memory management library, or something. Here is a link to a site that apparently provides a Windows 98 patch, relating to SmartHeap.

http://www.mackichan.com/snbk/win98patch.html

Also, could you please run msconfig, and let us know what is running at startup. It could be a program in there that is causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

:)

3. UAPilot1960

UAPilot1960 Thread Starter

OK, first of all sorry for taking soooooo long to get back to this problem. Holidays, a crises or three...all in a seasons work, eh?

OK, I looked at the web link you posted and it doesn't relate as I do not have that program on my computer to update.

My MSconfig is loading the following programs:

ctfmon.exe
    SystemTray
    zBrowser Launcher
    Detect (iNTERNET TURBO)
    EM_EXEC (a logitech program)
    NAV Agent
    NPROTECT
    iamapp (Norton Internet Security)
    EnsoniqMixer
    REWARDS NETWORK (a local radio station membership)
    Tweak UI
    ScriptBlocking (Symantec)
    CSINJECT.EXE
    NPROTECT (again?)
    SymTray - Norton SystemWorks
    G0Back Polling Service
    Detect (iINTERNET TURBO again?)
    MDM7
    nisserv (Norton Internet Security)
    BestCrypt Auto Open
    NCS_SS (Norton Cleansweep?)
    Billminder (Quicken)
    GoBack Tray Icon
    HotSync Manager (Palm)

That's it.

I am still getting these SmartHaep Library warnings and lockups at random times. In the box it says "MEM_BAD_POINTER"

Help!!!!

Thanks,
    Dave

4. columbo

columbo

Hi,

It looks like this error could relate to a problem with a Corel application, but you didn't mention whether or not you had one installed.
    More likely, it has to do with Norton or even the Palm software.
    Check out this link:

http://autoperl.skwc.com/cr_dll_episode.html

Then go to this link to download the correct version of msvcrt40.dll.

http://www.xara.com/downloads/extras/msvcrt40.asp

Remember that you'll have to unzip the file, then reboot to MS-DOS mode, and copy it over from there. I believe that one of the articles provides instructions.

Hopefully this solves the problem.

Columbo :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice