1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

smartlink Modem Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leanneqld, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leanneqld

leanneqld Thread Starter

running windows XP on a Packard Bell pentium 4 that came with an Aztech V92 56k CNR modem. However i connect to the internet via cable with an external motorola surfboard modem.
    Here's the problem.......now and then the pc will reboot and start up saying microsoft error report suggest the shutdown was caused by the smartlink driver and suggests updating the driver.
    I have downloaded a new driver which is self extracting but when i try to install it i get an installshield wizard box with my Cable ISP asking for the maintenance option for my ISP usage meter.
    These options are
    *Modify(selecte new program components to add or remove existing ones)
    *Repair(reinstall all program components installed by the previous setup)
    *Remove(remove all installed components)

Does anyone have any ideas why a Usage meter related to an ISP for cable modem becomes an Installshield wizard for a driver for an internal modem thats never used as it is for dialup.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions any one can give

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Is that CNR modem installed and enabled in the system BIOS?

3. leanneqld

leanneqld Thread Starter

The modem came installed with the PC when i bought it. I used it when i was on dial up without problems for about 5 months. Then we switched to cable. The Aztech is used only every now and then to access remotely to work.

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I see...
    I'm not 100% on this,but I recall hearing from a friend that her internal modem caused conflicts with her cable modem set up.
    I suspect that the system is "occasionally" aware that there is another device available (the CNR) and wants to use it instead of the correct path.
    I'll look into this a bit more and see if I can find anything directly about this.

5. leanneqld

leanneqld Thread Starter

Thanks...the external cable modem is a motorola surfboard SB4200 and i have been having probs also with continual disconnects . They be the probs are linked somehow.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice