1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SmartMedia & NiMH AA rechargeable batteries?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MRBEE, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

I've got an Olympus D-510 digital camera on order. I wish to also purchase a 64MB SmartMedia memory card and NiMH AA rechargeable batteries and charger. I noticed that prices on those accessories range all over the place: from about $30.00 on the SmartMedia card to $179.00, and from $9.00 to close to $100.00 on the batteries and charger. Why? Can anyone tell me what to look for (or look out for)?

2. Rockn

Rockn

I really doubt you are going to find a 64MB smart media card for $30 anywhere unless they are no name back alley things. The batteries might vary that much depending on the amp hours and manufacture quality. I would check the specs on the camera to see if you should even use rechargable batteries just to be safe.

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

go here for the batteries http://thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

the MAHA POWEREX MAXIMUM LIFE 1700mAH AA NiMH Batteries

are simply one of the best NiMH AA you can get!

If you get the solder tab version, you can make some awesome 9.6V 1700mah battery packs. normal 9.6v battery packs are usually only 600mah.

There not expensive either.

4. pfoerste

pfoerste

I have purchassed 3 Olympus 510z for myself and daughters at Circuit City and at the same time a charger and 4 NiMH batteries. for $20. The charger will also charge other types and size batteries. Everything works great!

5. pfoerste

pfoerste

Tryed to edit my post, but was not allowed.
    I purchassed a 32 meg chip a couple months ago from Sams Club for $27 and I think they had 64's for about $50. I have not looked for any scence then.

6. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

I'm afraid I didn't properly frame my question.

What I really want to know is this: with respect to SmartMedia cards, is there such a thing as "high speed" cards as opposed to "low speed" cards? The salesman that sold me the Olympus 510 stated there was -- which would account for the radical differences in prices. But -- is that true. Or should I just go for the best price available?

I guess I have the same question with respect to rechargeable batteries and chargers. What, if anything, is the difference between the high dollar ones and the cheapies? If anything?

7. pfoerste

pfoerste

MRBEE, I have not heard of "high speed" (cards) chips! and I don't know about "hi quality" batteries. Mine works great with the regular ones I purchassed. I don't take a lot of pictures, 10 to 30 a month, more on the holidays or when we have a family get together. And I guess I charge my batteries once a month, weather they need it or not. And I have not had a problem of them going dead. I keep a set of regular AA's in the bag just in case. I was going to buy a set or rechargeables, but I never need them so the regulars serve the purpous.

8. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

pforeste,

I know you purchased 3 of them. That's one reason (among many others) that I finally decided on the 510. But, with so many choices, and so many, many different opinions, it was tough.

Thank you for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice