1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Smb1 om Windows 10 - built 1909

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by strand-holm, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:07 AM.

Advertisement
  1. strand-holm

strand-holm Thread Starter

Just bought a new MS Surface Go tablet. Great piece of hardware!
    When I want to connect to my External Storage SSD (Toshiba , I have connected to my Linksys router by ethernet cable) - that means map a network drive from the Surface Go tablet to the External Storage, I get this message "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

Odd, as my Lenovo Labtop has no problems, same OS built 1909.

I need to get this problem solved, so I can access the shares and files on my External Storage, hooked up to my Linksys Router. Please help!

Second question: I can map a network drive from my Lenovo Labtop to my MS Surface GO Tablet, but there is no folders and no contents in the mapped drive. Why? - all permissions are set in the Network and Sharing Center on the Surface GO.

Thanks so much, guys,
    Anders

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Regarding SMB1: Click on the Windows Start button and type optionalfeatures (it's all one word). Hit Enter to open Windows Features, scroll down to the option noted by the arrow in the graphic, and then check that. Reboot the machine and you should be good to go.

WindowsFeatures.jpg

3. strand-holm

Hello Lochlomonder,
    So good to hear from you again:)
    As always you find the solution. Thank you so much!
    Would it be okay to ask for a second favor?
    In Google Crome: When I type something in order to search, only two letters appear in the search-window. Chrome displays several suggestions based on the two typed letters but prevents me to carry on typing, as it makes the virtuel keyboard on my tablet disappear.
    That is quite annoying!!
    I could find no setting in Crome, that would disable that annoyance.
    Can you help?
    Thanks,
    Anders

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Hey, Anders. Glad I could help with the SMB solution. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's going on with Chrome, so I'll leave it for other forum members to see if they can shed light on this issue.

5. strand-holm

Hey Lochlomonder,
    I understand so well. Hope somebody else can help me out on that. It is quite annoying!
    All the best,
    Anders

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice