1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SMC Router Problems!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vg19, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

I have a SMC 7004ABR Router, and I am using it with Bell High Speed Internet (DSL, Speedstream 5200 modem)

I would make all the connections, and the internet works fine for about 10 minutes. But after 10 minutes, the DSL and enet LEDs just start continously flashing. (I cannot use the net, it will just stop working) If I then connect the modem to my Nic card, the net will work.

I called SMC and they couldnt figure out the problem so they sent me the same router (RMA) I just hooked up the new router, and its giving me the same problem. Do you think theres a compatabilty issue here? Should I go to wireless and see if it makes a difference? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. downtime

downtime

Do you have a firewall installed?

3. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried both with built in SMC router firewall on anf off.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd reset the router to factory defaults, then configure just the WAN section so it will connect to the modem. If that fails, I'd call SMC or the place you bought it and get rid of it.

FWIW, I used to be a 100% SMC fan for years, but since my fiasco with my SMC2404WBR, I've switched to using a D-Link DI-614+, and it's worked very well so far.

5. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Im not too sure what you mean. I have it set up for PPPeO. Is that what you mean by connect it to the modem?

Do you think SMC will reimbuirse me somehow. Like if I want to go to wireless since this is not working, will they give me some money off?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have no idea what SMC will do, I'd start by taking it back to the place you purchased it.

If you can beg, borrow, or steal another brand of router for a test, that would be very instructive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice