1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Smiley Central.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by *aussie_blondie, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *aussie_blondie

*aussie_blondie Thread Starter

The site for this kept on popping up with pix of emoticons that will work in yahoo and hotmail. I did a search at google. Most of the results were just basically ads for smiley central. One site said it was a parasite, but harmless. I've been using it for three weeks now without any problems with it but I saw, at some other tech site, warnings against installing it. These were mainly because of the eula which says that smileycentral can download stuff to your hard drive without asking and a couple of other things.

Has anyone used it or heard anything about it, please?

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Here's their EULA ...

It appears that the Application launches on startup by default and connects to the mothership while you are online.... If you're light on system resources running apps like this one just put more of a drain on your resources.... run> msconfig and you should see it in there.

I would get my smilies from somewhere else ;)

Good Luck....

http://www.funwebproducts.com/eula/

2. License Conditions

We reserve the right to add additional features or functions to the existing Applications. When installed on your computer, the Application periodically communicates with our servers. We may require the updating of the Application on your computer when we release a new version of the Application, or when we make new features available.

4. Content and Infringement

Under no circumstances will FWP be liable in any way for any Content, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any Content, or for loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted or transmitted via the Application.

5. Installation, Operation and Removal.

In order to make our services functional and robust, the Application will communicate with our servers. Such communication may occur, for example, in connection with product updates and fixes, verifying and updating your settings, processing search queries or requests made by you through use of the Application and as otherwise required to maintain and operate the Application.

7. Access and Interference; Passwords

You agree that it is your responsibility to install anti-virus software and related protections against viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other techniques that may have the effect of damaging, destroying, disrupting or otherwise impairing a computer's functionality or operation, which may inadvertently be transferred to your computer through your use of the Application.

DS

3. *aussie_blondie

Hi, Dark Star [​IMG] That's what I read before I installed it. Seems to me though that if we took too much notice of all these eula's we'd never install anything, LOL. Read yahoo's lately?

Strangely enough, msconfig doesn't show it but it's definitely running now.

Can't think of any other way to put emoties into hotmail or yahoo.

The only weird thing I have noticed........and this may not be related to smileycentral......is that when I click on a link and another web page opens, my computer moo's. Yup, it goes moo.I've been through and listened to every sound I have assigned in control panel.....no moo. Haven't yet gone through windows\media but will soon. Weird, yeah?

[​IMG]

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

Hi, *aussie_blondie [​IMG]

I borrowed your gif.... ;)

I know what you mean about the EULA's... more to the point about reading too much into it.
    Its one thing for ET to call home but for a 'smilie' program to call home? I've yet to hear one good reason why that is.
    Schmaili is the same way too, it loads from startup and loves to call home. :rolleyes:

I don't know what to make of the moo's you're hearing ... Got Milk? prolly coz all the cookies. lol

DS

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Perhaps a new Gateway wav file? :D :D :D

Personally, I don't like anything that trys to phone home. Especially without my knowledge. But that's why I use a firewall. Nothing comes in or goes out without me knowing it.

6. *aussie_blondie

Quick report on SmileyCentral........so far, so good. And worth it for cool smileys like these in my email [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL ........well, I think so anyways, lol, but then I'm a
    smileyholic.

I like it so much I joined the forum........Lol! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!