Smiley face virus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dazza111

I have a problem with my computer. Occasionally when I start it up it will go through the initial start-up where the "Diamond" logo appears then it will have a small cursor top-left of screen then that will descend to bottom left of screen then cursor will appear to rapidly scroll across bottom of screen repeatedly then a small rectangular smiley face will appear 2-3mmwide and 3-4mm high.
This will occur 4 to 10 start-ups then computer will restart as normal and problem will not happen again for 4 to 8 weeks and whole process re-occurs.
Has anyone heard of this problem and how to fix?
thanks Dazza111

This question belongs in the security forum as it seems to be malware-related.

I have requested for it to be moved.

You do not need to create another threasd in the security forum

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Could also be a bad keyboard interface intermittently sending hexadecimal code "01" which in DOS mode (before Windows starts) displays as a small rectangular smiley face.

dazza111

I think I have it beaten.
First download virus program Dr WEb Cure it - its free at http://freedrweb.com/
then
run program, it should pick up file that is causing prob.
(make note of file it picks up and post it to this forum others with more knowledge mightr be able to give more info on it)
delete it
then
go into "system properties" and click on "system restore"
then "tick" box "turn off system restore"
then
restart your computer and re-run Dr web virus program
it should be fixed and then go back to systen restore and untick "turn off system restore".

dazza111

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online