SMITFRAUD! Can't even boot to safe mode!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hux

Got a Windows XP Home Ed. pc.

I scanned the previous smitfraud threads and can't find any that give a solution if you can't even boot into safe mode.

Booting the PC results in the Explorer.exe error Wininet.dll was not found error and the BSOD and a message produced by NAV that says the Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c is found and to run any spyware and antivirus programs to remove. Well I can't get into windows to do this.

Booting into safe mode does the same thing......I get a blank screen with a mouse cursor arrow that fills in blue repeatedly.

Is there any download for a boot disk to remove this thing???? Or any other ways to get it off???

Thanks so much!

Hi Hux,

Do you have the XP installation disk? We can probably put the files to fix this on a floppy disk and copy them to the C drive and run them from the Recovery Console if you have the XP disk so we can boot to RC.

Hux

I have an XP SP1 CD. Will that work?
I've also got a healthy XP SP2 pc that I can copy files from as well.
Thanks!

Is the XP SP1 cd the one that goes with the infected computer? Also you need to have floppy drives on both pcs and a floopy disk to put the files on.

Are you familiar with the Recovery Console?

It's too late tonight to start working on this, but we can do it tomorrow. Is there a particular time that you would prefer to get on this?

Hux

No it's a different CD. The infected one is a compaq presario S4020WM and I would guess that the owner has some sort of recovery CD, not an original MS Windows CD.
Both PC's do have floppy drives.

Hux

I'm in and out today putting out fires all over the place. So don't worry about time. We can just pick away at this at your convenience.

Are you familiar with the Recovery Console and executing commands from there?

I'm doing some experimenting now trying to figure out how much of the fix we can do from there. I'm ready to begin when you are. Post back here and let me know when you can start. I'll be online until around midnight EDT tonight.

Hux

Not really familiar with RC but I'm sure I can figure it out with some help.
I'll be here all evening.

Thanks!

I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner. I was getting ready to try and put something together for you when my wife came in to use her pc and it was dead. The Power supply went bad so I had to drop everything and put one in it.

I'm going to work on something now. I'll post back within the hour.

Hux, I'm ready to try something really simple. I've been trying to figure out how to do something a little more complicated, but I think the best thing to do here is to try and do a simple fix to see if we can get this thing to boot then fix the rest after we get it to boot. I have a couple of hours left tonight that we can work on this if you're ready to try something. I'd rather not start giving instructions til I know I'll have you online for a little while.

OK. I'll type something out for you now.

Do you have both pcs there in close proximity?

Hux

I'll bring the sick one down to my office so they're both right here. Give me 3 minutes.

I'll be right here reloading the page to look for new replies so we can work through any problems you encounter. You have my undivided attention.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online